Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: In-Ground Leak

  1. Back To Top    #1
    JesseSchmidt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Fairfield Twp, OH
    Posts
    204

    In-Ground Leak

    I have been attempting to find a leak myself that cost me about 150 gallons a day through the summer by letting the water level drop until it stops. It is now, a month later, a few inches below the top of the light. Past the skimmer, shallow end returns and deep end returns. Only things left are the light, main drain and the liner.

    Anyone have any wisdom for finding the problem? Things I should look for? Or should I throw in the towel and find someone to come take care of it for me?

    Thanks!
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Pool Tool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Western Chicago Area, IL
    Posts
    638

    Re: In-Ground Leak

    If it stopped half way down the light, I would suspect that. To confirm, pump another 6" of water out of the pool then leave for a couple days to see if the level drops or not. If it drops - leak is elsewhere. If it doesn't - leak is in that 6" "layer" of the liner around the pool or more likely in the light itself.

    Can you get in the pool to see if the water level is flush with the conduit fitting on the light niche?
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

  3. Back To Top    #3
    ship of fools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    445

    Re: In-Ground Leak

    Quote Originally Posted by JesseSchmidt View Post
    Or should I throw in the towel and find someone to come take care of it for me?

    Thanks!
    I fought the urge to throw in the towel for a full season and added water. The following year i hired a guy and it was money well spent. They put a slight electric charge in the pool and a ground rod outside and the only way that electricity gets to ground is through a hole in your liner. They have directional listening devices that allow them to pinpoint all of the leaks and then they remove the charge, put on their gear and go patch the holes.

    Cost me $200 and was money well spent!
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

  4. Back To Top    #4
    JesseSchmidt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Fairfield Twp, OH
    Posts
    204

    Re: In-Ground Leak

    I'll check again this evening to see if the water level has in fact stopped on the light. I was just noting where the level had gotten to at that point, not saying that it had settled there. I did have the light out at some point this summer as when brushing it, it popped out and floated to the surface. I took the opportunity to clean out the niche and reinstalled it. I noticed that the screw was worn out so it was just acting as a pin holding it in there. Another thing on the list to fix.

    - - - Updated - - -

    ship of fools, what was that service called in your area? I'll try to find someone around here that does that because $200 is less than I spent in water this summer!
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

  5. Back To Top    #5
    ship of fools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    445

    Re: In-Ground Leak

    Quote Originally Posted by JesseSchmidt View Post
    I'll check again this evening to see if the water level has in fact stopped on the light. I was just noting where the level had gotten to at that point, not saying that it had settled there. I did have the light out at some point this summer as when brushing it, it popped out and floated to the surface. I took the opportunity to clean out the niche and reinstalled it. I noticed that the screw was worn out so it was just acting as a pin holding it in there. Another thing on the list to fix.

    - - - Updated - - -

    ship of fools, what was that service called in your area? I'll try to find someone around here that does that because $200 is less than I spent in water this summer!
    I just looked for "leak detection" or something along those lines. You might be able to get names from the local pool store as well.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

  6. Back To Top    #6

    In the Industry
    PoolguyinCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    253

    Re: In-Ground Leak

    Quote Originally Posted by ship of fools View Post
    I fought the urge to throw in the towel for a full season and added water. The following year i hired a guy and it was money well spent. They put a slight electric charge in the pool and a ground rod outside and the only way that electricity gets to ground is through a hole in your liner. They have directional listening devices that allow them to pinpoint all of the leaks and then they remove the charge, put on their gear and go patch the holes.

    Cost me $200 and was money well spent!
    That's the leaktrac 2100 -- man I love that tool!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •