Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: shocking causing low psi

1. Back To Top    #1

shocking causing low psi

Hi all, I have what I (and a few others) suspect is mustard algae in my saltwater fiberglass pool. The mustard algae is on the pool floor and steps. I don't think this is dust. There's no similar dust on stuff near my pool. So I started slamming. My test numbers are all good, it sucks that I have to do this to a pool that has crystal clear water. Now that i've begun shocking, my sand filter psi is dropping really low, which never happens. The normal psi is 12. With shocking it's at 3. So, i backwashed and it went back to 12, only to go back down to 3 within 45 mins. I've done this backwashing three times already now whilst shocking. Anyone know why this is happening? There's no blockages (I even checked, and had to reprime). So confusing as to why it's happening.

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: shocking causing low psi

forgot to add: i'm slamming with liquid chlorine.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

What psi does it read when the pump is off?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

From memory I think it reads zero. When the psi goes low whilst shocking, the return jets are hardly doing anything.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Sounds like your pressure gauge is working backwards. But, you are killing something in your pool so that's good. Just keep up the good work and watch the gauge as you have been. Usually the pressure goes up when the SLAM is working it's magic, for some reason your gauge is registering it in reverse. Must be plumbed on the output of the filter instead of the input.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a note: We call it SLAMming, instead of shocking. SLAM stands for Shock Level And Maintain. Keep the chlorine up where it needs to be in relation to your CYA and test it often.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

That is very strange. Normally pressure goes up and water flow goes down as a filter gets clogged up. Also, normally lower pressure in the filter equals higher flow rate from the pool returns.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Here is an article about it: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain