Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Have a problem with not being able to plaster because the gunite is too wet

1. Back To Top    #1

Have a problem with not being able to plaster because the gunite is too wet

Last Wednesday when the plaster guys came out they were unable to plaster because too much water had accumulated at the bottom of the deep end. They tried to dry the gunite enough to plaster but said there was too much water. After they left there was almost no water on the bottom and in the days since it has returned. If I used a shop vac to remove the water is there any chance of me damaging anything?

This is what it looked like yesterday
    IMG_1988.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    *Under Construction* IG gunite/plaster pool/spa, (will add rest of specs as soon as I find them!). Thanks in advance for any answers to my questions as well as any knowledge passed on to me.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Have a problem with not being able to plaster because the gunite is too wet

No, you won't damage anything. It might be easier to use a submersible pump.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you very much for your quick reply! I asked my builder the same question and they said they advised against it. I took that as "we don't want to be responsible if we say yes and you mess something up"! Since the pool thing is totally new to me I just wanted to check w/ ppl who are knowledgeable and will give me a straight answer! Where can I get a submersible pump and are they expensive? I thought my shop vac because I have one... and I thought it would be quicker than using a spoon! J/k Thanks again!
    *Under Construction* IG gunite/plaster pool/spa, (will add rest of specs as soon as I find them!). Thanks in advance for any answers to my questions as well as any knowledge passed on to me.

4. Back To Top    #4

LOL! Yes, a shop vac might be faster than a spoon or a shovel. You can rent a pump at Lowes or home Depot. They usually sell some too in the outdoor area. Northern Tool or Harbor Freight are other places. Make sure the pump is capable of pumping water up 8 feet, or however deep your pool is.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

That's a good deal of water, I presume the hydro-s are open. If your in a rush pay them for ground water remediation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Water table in Nevada???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Back To Top    #7

Alright thanks I'll check those places out! One other thing I should've asked in my original post... Is it normal for water to build up like that or should I be worried that something is wrong and bring it up to builder before construction moves on?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    LOL! Yes, a shop vac might be faster than a spoon or a shovel. You can rent a pump at Lowes or home Depot. They usually sell some too in the outdoor area. Northern Tool or Harbor Freight are other places. Make sure the pump is capable of pumping water up 8 feet, or however deep your pool is.
    I spent the afternoon researching and figured that buying instead of renting was cheaper. I picked up a pump from Harbor Freight and I'm draining the water as I type this. The pump works great and I'm glad you suggested it over the shop vac! Thanks again for all your help!