Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH level

1. Back To Top    #1

PH level

My PH always seems to raise toward the high side, 7-7 to 7.9 or so.

The remainder of my pool remains in balance. CYA 60-70, 5.0-7.5 chlorine with 0 CC.

I add acid to lower it to 7.4 or so every month or so. Is there any harm in leaving it at 7.8 ph?
    10,000 gallon, inground, pebblesheen, sand filter, TF-100 testing kit, Hayward Pool Vac XL

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: PH level

What is your TA? Do you have any sort of water features?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C

3. Back To Top    #3

what is your calcium level as well
    SWG inground peanut shaped painted concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

4. Back To Top    #4

Do post up your other test results so we can see the whole picture. In most cases it is fine to leave pH at 7.8.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

As of today my FC is 5.5, CC is 0, TA is 90, CH 400 and the CYA level is 60.

It just seems that the PH likes to settle around 7.6-7.8. I lowered my TA this summer (from around 120) by lowering the PH and splashing around in the pool, but now that swim season is over that shouldn't be an issue.

I wonder if I should keep adding acid on a bi-monthly basis to chase 7.4 PH.

Thanks!
    10,000 gallon, inground, pebblesheen, sand filter, TF-100 testing kit, Hayward Pool Vac XL

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you have an SWG or are you adding liquid chlorine (bleach) manually? An SWG will raise the pH due to carbonation effects inside the SWG. I live in AZ and I use an SWG to chlorinate my pool. While every pool is different, my pool chemistry (FC, TA, CH, and CYA) is very similar to yours. PoolMath calculates my CSI value at -0.16, which is well within the TFP recommended range. Sounds to me like you're chasing a pH value that isn't necessary.

My pool was built in 2013 and, after the first year, the pH now tends to stay near 7.6-7.8. I do have a Pentair IntellipH system to inject MA to prevent the pH from climbing above 7.8. My pool is sparking clear ever since I embraced the TFP methods and advice.
    19,000 gal, 16' x 38' PebbleTec IG Pool, Built 4/2013; Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050 3 HP Pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Pentair IntellipH, Pentair 520 sq ft/150 GPM Cartridge Filter, A&A In-Floor Cleaner, Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robot, Pentair EasyTouch Power Panel w/ Quick Touch 4 Remote Control, Autelis WiFi controller, Clear 12 mil Solar Cover on Presto SS Reel.

7. Back To Top    #7

Absolutely fine to let pH hang out at 7.6 to 7.8. No need to chase 7.4. When pH gets to 8.0 lower it to 7.4 or so, that will slowly lower your TA a bit more. It is fine to let your TA drop as low as 60.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

I use liquid bleach from Costco, that's it.

The pool seemed to hold 7.4 for about 5-7 days and then it would hold 7.8 for 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for the information, it's extremely helpful!

9. Back To Top    #9

I am also in Phoenix and my numbers are very similar to yours. For now I have closed my aerator, but the pH still creeps up. I will do a full test this weekend and see where I am, but the last time pH was 8.0 or just below, with 2 drops putting me in the 7.6 range. I added 24oz of 31.45% MA. My last TA was 90, but it will probably be down when I test it again.

Since all our numbers are very similar, what is your daily consumption of bleach? With 8.25% I averaged around 16oz, and now with 10% around 12-14oz per day.
    11K gal, concrete in-ground, plaster, Hayward S244T Pro Series sand filter, Kreepy Krauly, Taylor K-2006

10. Back To Top    #10

I add one gallon at a time. There is no reason not to just add the entire gallon at one time. (not that I know of anyways!)

My daily consumption of bleach really varies upon the temperature/use of the pool. During the summer months when the temperature of the pool is 88-92 degrees I use around 12 gallons of bleach a month. I test daily, sometimes twice a day.

When the cool-down begins and the water temperature drops to below 80 I test around three times a week. I probably use 3-4 gallons a month then.

I'm going to get rid of my hot tub sometime soon and install a pool heat pump. Then we can get a lot more use out of our pool!