Bleach usage for first year using TFPC

When I opened our pool in April I had asked how much bleach on average people were using for the season. I've kept track Since April and I've used 11 cases of liquid shock, 44 bottles of 12%. Used one bottle of muriatic acid. Fc levels maintained at 5 to 6 ppm. One container of stabilizer. That's about all I've put into the pool this year. Looking to close in the next two weeks or so. Have 2.5 bottles left of the 44 purchased to shock and close. Just wanted to share this info.

Can you add what all that cost you? Most people don't believe that pool care can actually be cheap. Posting what you e spent helps people see that our methods not only result is a clear and sparkling pool but can also save them money as well.

Below is what I spent. Chemicals only cost me $244.75 for exactly 5 months. Electricity was on the higher end (called Hayward) and they gave me specifics. NJ rates are very high during the 5 months (peak season). A few extra's, etc.

View attachment 54971

View attachment 54972

Nice tracking data.

So if you take chemicals and electricity together (extras are really a one time charge), you get about $4.50/day to operate your pool. That's pretty good even for a high utility rate area like NJ.

The tracking was easy. I purchase bleach in bulk (time constraints). Each time I purchased something, it was written on the spreadsheet. Next year, the cost will be a lot less as I plan on cutting back (from average of 8 hours per day) to about 6 hours per day. The first month at most is 4 hours per day and last month is 4 hours per day. In between, I will adjust to 8 hours per day. At most, I am looking at 7 hours per day (average).

The system is oversized with 2" plumbing and a 2 hp. pump, 350 lb. sand filter. The turnover rate at 12 hours is 2.5X, which is overkill. Especially now, that I know how much electricity really costs. Always pegged it at $100 per month, which is pretty accurate.

The true cost savings (which I forgot) is the opening and closing of the pool (Which of course I do now). Only once did they close the pool and that was enough. The PB cost would be $240 to open and $260 to close, totaling $500. This is the cost of electricity, so a wash.

The amount of time spent weekly on pool (30 minutes at most), which includes vacuuming, testing and bleach additions, etc. The amount of time to open pool and close pool (1 hour each). We will not discuss the total cost of the swimming pool (ouch!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.