Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from Texas

I just wanted to say "thanks" for this forum. It's been really helpful as I've debated and decided about my new filter setup. Having just having had my pool resurfaced along with new tile and coping, I've started taking care of the pool myself. This forum is an outstanding source of info.

I inherited the pool setup with the house approx. 3 yrs ago. My former pool service guy that I'd used the whole time apparently never took my old Sta-Rite DES51 filter apart to clean the grids. I didn't realize what was needed and how often, so I was surprised to find the tank almost literally full of old DE when I opened it up to clean. I'm amazed that any water was able to flow through at all. Unfortunately, the top manifold had a couple of cracks that I couldn't repair and the part is obsolete, so I went with a new filter and valve. I also took the opportunity to add a sight glass to the waste line since the original setup didn't have one.

I'll add a few before/after pics, but thanks again for all of the help!

Pool - Before:

Pool - After:
    12,000 gal. rounded rectangle fresh water game IG pool; 86 ft perimeter; Diamond Brite midnight blue plaster; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 6 return jets; center depth at drain approx. 5 ft.; Pentair Quad DE 60 filter with Hi-Flow 2" multipart valve; Sta-Rite P2RA5F-125L pump with Century Centurion B849 pump (1.5 HP, 1.50 SF); Stenner 45MHP10 pump w/30 gal. bleach tank on separate timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello from Texas

Welcome to TFP! Nice pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Filter / valve - Before:

Filter / valve - After:

Sight Glass:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Welcome to TFP! Nice pool!
    Thanks!
    12,000 gal. rounded rectangle fresh water game IG pool; 86 ft perimeter; Diamond Brite midnight blue plaster; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 6 return jets; center depth at drain approx. 5 ft.; Pentair Quad DE 60 filter with Hi-Flow 2" multipart valve; Sta-Rite P2RA5F-125L pump with Century Centurion B849 pump (1.5 HP, 1.50 SF); Stenner 45MHP10 pump w/30 gal. bleach tank on separate timer

4. Back To Top    #4

Love the new look. Also the blue canvas sun awning.
    19K gal IG vinyl, AuqaRite Digital TCell15 SWG, 3/4HP Tristar Pump, Sand Filter. Gas Heater, Navigator Cleaner.
    Simple solutions resolve complex problems more often than complex solutions solve simple problems.
    Despite the high cost of living, it's still very popular.

5. Back To Top    #5

What's the purpose of sight glass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
    Love the new look. Also the blue canvas sun awning.
    Thanks. It amazes me how expensive those awning covers are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hfd499 View Post
    What's the purpose of sight glass?
    When backwashing, it lets me see when the water turns clear.