Nasty itchy rash help !

Not a bad idea. I have all of the above. I have a lot of trouble reading the shades of pink/red on the DPD chlorine test.

It helps if you don't use a beer bottle as the background for the comparator block :cheers: :mrgreen:

(Pro-tip : you can titrate the R-0001/R-0002 with your R-0871 FAS solution to get an exact result if you want...)

Please elaborate on #3 ?
How much etc?

Thank you I am refilling this weekend and want to get it right. The Ahh some came today and the tub is turned down to 75 degrees and I plan on draining Saturday if my other stuff comes in ( test kit etc) I have been out of the tub since Friday, rash is no longer itching just have damaged dry skin now and am dying to get back in.

1. Yes, fine to use dichlor/bleach and ozonator. It is sold in 1 lb bags at most big box stores. It is usually called "shock" but read the label there are other things in 1lnpb bags called "shock" like cal-hypo.

2. Only FC and pH should be tested daily/regularly. You'll get a feel for it pretty quickly. Keep some notes for a bit.

3. Skip all that. On my last refill I added CYA (In a sock), bleach, 20 Team Mule Borax and muriatic acid. And some Epsom salts.

yes thank you !

I am hoping this lineup will get me started. The Chlorbrite lists main ingredient as Sodium dichloro -s-triazinetrione dihydrate, hoping that is equal to dichlor?

IMG_2046.jpg

Dry Acid main ingredient is Sodium Bisulfate hopefully that is the dry acid referred to in the chlorine artice as well.

And lastly 20 mule borox was closest I could find to borates although borate is not listed as an ingredient.... ahhh I am so confused.

I just follow the steps in the article and use PoolMath to calculate the amounts. Have you found PoolMath? Link at the top of each page.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So today I added Ahh Some and ran the tub on high with all jets open as well as air. Wow the scum that came to the surface was really bad, this tub is only 3 months old and has never had what I would call a party in it, usually just me and the wife, a couple of friends but never more than 3 people in the tub. Anyways I scrubbed and rinsed scrubbed and rinsed. Then used a shop vac to remove all the water possible from the jut lines etc. I just filled back up. Temp is cold (55 degrees) so wil take a while to warm up. I have the following test information which has me a bit perplexed. <br><br>CH = 375<br>PH = 7.2<br>TA =270<br><br>I see in the article what to do about high TA but it generally refers to PH following that trend. My PH is on the low end of the scale and the TA is much higher than I want....ideas? <br><br>Also I presume it makes sense to get the TA in check before adding any dichlor?<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>TIM

Just aerate a lot. With high TA, the pH won't stay low for long. It's like a can of soda, you've cracked the lid and it just needs to fizz

Dichlor is mildly acidic so it will drop the pH slightly. If you add it with the jets running, it should be ok. Just keep an eye on your pH.

ok thanks, it has been running for a couple hours now, will go test again and see where ta and ph are now, sure would like to get some type of sanitizer )dichlor) in there tonight, hopefully have removed the bacteria today.

updated : Just tested again and now PH is 8.2 and TA is the same. So I added 2 oz of dry acid and .2 oz of dichlor. Will let it run now temp is still just 70. Will restest in the morning and see where I am ..

Thanks very much,

Tim

Dichlor is mildly acidic so it will drop the pH slightly. If you add it with the jets running, it should be ok. Just keep an eye on your pH.

Did you wipe the tip of the bottle on a wet towel during the TA test? There can be some static build up during the first few tests that make the drops smaller and the test read falsely high.

Do add dichlor. Keep track of how much you add so you know when your CYA gets to 30 and you can switch to bleach.

Wow, 55 degree tap water? Brrrrr

I did not wipe the bottle. Will test again doing that tomorrow. I actually added .5 oz of dichlor, I will keep track of how much I add but not sure how that relates to the number 30 cya. Yes chilly up here, water was 52 coming out of the tap...brrr is right. Tub is up to 84 now so she is getting there, should hit 100 about 3am lol

Thank you

Did you wipe the tip of the bottle on a wet towel during the TA test? There can be some static build up during the first few tests that make the drops smaller and the test read falsely high.

Do add dichlor. Keep track of how much you add so you know when your CYA gets to 30 and you can switch to bleach.

Wow, 55 degree tap water? Brrrrr

Every 10ppm FC added from dichlor also adds 9ppm CYA. Dichlor is stabilized chlorine, it adds both FC and CYA to the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.