Chlorine Consistently Rising

Good Morning,
Joined the group in June and you guys helped me maintain a Trouble Free Pool all summer long. Lately, however, my chlorine levels have risen without adding chlorine to the point of 10.8 this morning. I had seen it in the 7 and 9 range in the last couple of weeks. The 10.8 this morning was after draining about 4 inches of water yesterday from the Hurricane Matthew rains. Below I have listed my other readings. Is this normal (obviously temperatures have been dropping)?

Chlorine 10.8
pH 8
alkalinity 60
calcium hardness 350
CYA 90
Salt Generator set @ 50% reads 3,100 ppm (this usually reads 3,300-3,500)

For what it's worth, I swam last week at the 9 chlorine range and eyes were fine. Thanks for the help.

It is safe to swim with FC up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

FC levels can only rise if something or someone is adding chlorine to your pool. If it isn't you adding chlorine then it must be your neighbor. :) If the FC level is rising and you are saying the SWG is on but the output percentage hasn't been changed then that is normal. As water temp drops FC consumption also drops. Also as the water temp drops the salt level reading in the cell will drop.

You have to adjust the percent of SWG output or reduce the hours the pump runs to reduce the amount of chlorine generated. There is no feedback in this system, the SWG will produce the same amount of chlorine no matter how much chlorine is still in the water. You are the feedback system.. you test the chlorine and adjust the output to keep your FC level where you want it.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.