Hayward Filter Maintenance Questions

Wildcat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2013
Tucson, AZ
2 1/2 year old Hayward SwimClear 425 sq ft, 4 element filter

1. Gasket between top and bottom halves is expensive to replace. What does one use to recondition it to keep it supple?

2. After 8-10 filter cleanings the filter bands are beginning to come apart. What do you use to replace them? Maybe some cable ties? Not overly tightened but tight enough to hold the pleats in place.

For the gasket silicone lube like THIS, I use THIS because I brew beer and have it on hand. I believe it is basicly the same stuff and a bit cheaper since it is not "a pool supply"

I don't think I have ever seen a post about band repair they do let loos over time but by the time they are totally ineffective it is usually time to replace the cartridge anyway. If I were to try to replace them I would seek out a local warehouse or freight packing store and see if you can get some plastic freight banding material and use a 2 part resin to hold them in place. Large Zip ties is not a bad idea either.

For the gasket silicone lube like THIS, I use THIS because I brew beer and have it on hand. I believe it is basicly the same stuff and a bit cheaper since it is not "a pool supply"

I don't think I have ever seen a post about band repair they do let loos over time but by the time they are totally ineffective it is usually time to replace the cartridge anyway. If I were to try to replace them I would seek out a local warehouse or freight packing store and see if you can get some plastic freight banding material and use a 2 part resin to hold them in place. Large Zip ties is not a bad idea either.

Thanks, this pointed me in the right direction. The gasket is $40 - 50 with shipping so I think I will try and preserve it. But the lube ain't cheap either. But everything is relative.

Filters are showing little to no wear after 2 /12 years except for a few bands just starting to come off. But my filter is oversized for a 10,000 gal pool with four cartridges so maybe I need to clean less and each one doesn't wear as much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.