Tiny hairline cracks / scratches

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Is there a way to prevent those tiny hairline cracks that form on the lip of most fiber glass pools and spas?

I'm pretty sure this is only an aesthetic problem. It doesn't really seem to hurt anything, but I would like to stop new ones from happening. They are surface scratches or cracks on the coating on my fiberglass spa.

Thanks!!!

The only way to prevent them is good construction and a solid base. If the shell flexes at all under the weight of the water it will crack the acrylic, which is almost paper thin. If you notice any deteriorating wood behind the cabinet or settling on whatever base it's on, repairs to both will prevent future damage.

There are various polishes that you can use to try to eliminate the visibility of the cracks. If you get a bad one it's a good idea to drill very small, very very shallow (like 1/32") holes at either end to prevent it from getting worse.

spishex said:
The only way to prevent them is good construction and a solid base. If the shell flexes at all under the weight of the water it will crack the acrylic, which is almost paper thin. If you notice any deteriorating wood behind the cabinet or settling on whatever base it's on, repairs to both will prevent future damage.

There are various polishes that you can use to try to eliminate the visibility of the cracks. If you get a bad one it's a good idea to drill very small, very very shallow (like 1/32") holes at either end to prevent it from getting worse.

Thanks. The spa is attached to the pool and set in cement with pavers all around it. The only place I have cracks is on the small lip that sticks out around the tub. Ill post a pic.

I have a lot of kids that are always in there and jumping into the pool off the edges and stuff. That can't be helping :)

What polish should I go with?

Attachments

• spa2.jpg
    spa2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 118
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.