Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ?How to lower FC?

1. Back To Top    #1

?How to lower FC?

Live in south Florida. Pool is in-ground, 15 X 30; holds close to 20000 gallons. Use TFTest Kit 100 . Am having difficulty lowering FC. Have SWG that operates at 35%, and a variable speed motor that operates 8 hours daily at 3 different speeds. Figures on 10/8/2016 are as follows:

FC: 11.5
    pH: 8.5+
    CH: 275
    TA: 90
    CYA: 50
    SALT: 32000

Will lowering SWG to 25%, and adding appropriate chemicals to bring pH, CH & CYA figures to recommended levels help bring down FC figure?

In addition: Test Kit directions for measuring CH indicates that "red indicates the presence of calcium." Mine turns more pink than red; and becomes a light blue. Are these shades within bounds of accuracy?

Recommendations most welcomed!

And for the CYA test, the directions mention to fill until I can "no longer see the black dot." Does this mean completely 100% not seen?
    30 x 15; in ground; about 16,000 gallons; Diamond Brite (applied 06-2015); Hayward AquaRite salt chlorination (t-15); Hayward filter (CX900-RE/PXC-95); Century V-Green 165 variable speed motor; all located in south Florida.

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide

Re: ?How to lower FC?

There is no real reason to lower FC unless you are way over shock level for your CYA. In your case you aren't even close. So no worries there.

- - - Updated - - -

You do need to work on the pH. Use Pool Math above to find out how much MA to add to get it down around 7.4-7.6
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide

As for the CYA test, a number of us use the glance method. Drip from the mixer bottle up to the bottom line, then glance at the dot. If you see it, put more in until you reach the next line. Glance again. Repeat until you don't see the dot.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Henry,

The output of your SWG is a combination of the % set on the SWG and the amount of time your pump is running. So, to lower your FC level, you can either turn the % down and/or reduce the time your pump is running.

I suggest that you turn it down to 25% (as you suggested) and then check it every couple of days and see where you are. In my case, I have to continually adjust the percentage as the climate changes throughout the season.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

5. Back To Top    #5

Shouldn't he get FC TO 10 or below before doing a ph reading?
    Kelly, Tampa FL
    15' by 4' Intex above ground metal frame, about 5300 gallons
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679 with E.C.O.
    TF100 Kit and Speedstir
    Intex Auto Cleaner - works great!

6. Back To Top    #6
    TFP Guide

Good catch!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks very much for your reply. When it comes to buying stabilizer, our local Home Depot sells it, but the price seems a little steep. Would it be best to buy bulk (this, or any other chemical) on line?
    30 x 15; in ground; about 16,000 gallons; Diamond Brite (applied 06-2015); Hayward AquaRite salt chlorination (t-15); Hayward filter (CX900-RE/PXC-95); Century V-Green 165 variable speed motor; all located in south Florida.