Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice on CH

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice on CH

TFP says my CH should be between 350-450. Pool Calc says 250-350. Which should I go by?

Current tests below. Already added MA for pH and will be adding some stabilizer later today. As soon as I find the bucket my wife hid in prep for hurricane..!

FAC - 6
    FAC - 0-.1
    CH - 370
    CYA - 60
    TA - 80
    pH - 8.0
    Borates - 50
    Salt - 3200
    Temp - 83
    CSI - .11
    2006 IG 18.6K gal marcite saltwater w/integrated 800 gal spa, spillover, 2 Main and 2 Spa Drains, 2 Skimmers
    Goldline Aqua Logic PS-8, Aqua Pod Remote, Hayward GLX-Cell-15-W SWG, Hayward Pool Vac XL, Cartridge filter, single speed pump
    Taylor K-2006, Lamotte Borate Strips

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice on CH

Your numbers are fine. I would try to drop the TA a little further (see if 60ppm is reasonable) and then keep the pH in the 7.6-7.8 range. That should work just fine.

FYI, my CH is pushing 1000ppm and my numbers are not much different than yours. So, even though we "Recommend" 350-450ppm, you can be well outside the CH range and still very easily balance your pool water to avoid scaling. If by "Pool Calc" you a referring to the ThePoolCalculator, we recommend you don't use that site but instead use PoolMath. TFP does not maintain ThePoolCalculator website and I don't think the owners of that site even bother to maintain it anymore. PoolMath has all of the up to date recommendations and we actively maintain the PoolMath website.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Advice on CH

Thanks. Lowering pH with the MA should bring TA down some correct? I did add 35 or so ozs. of stabilizer to raise CYA a little. Am using "Pool Math" but used the generic "Pool Calc" term. my bad! Sort of like calling a soft drink a "coke" in the south!
    2006 IG 18.6K gal marcite saltwater w/integrated 800 gal spa, spillover, 2 Main and 2 Spa Drains, 2 Skimmers
    Goldline Aqua Logic PS-8, Aqua Pod Remote, Hayward GLX-Cell-15-W SWG, Hayward Pool Vac XL, Cartridge filter, single speed pump
    Taylor K-2006, Lamotte Borate Strips