Seriously need to cover my pool but.....

Sep 12, 2013
Montgomery,Al
OMG guys.....in Al where we're still in the 80s and 60s at night. Water temp is 76. But I have a gazillion trees around my pool and pine straw and leaves are falling like mad creating a huge mess in the pool that I can't keep up with. I normally don't close until the water temp is 60, but with no rain and dry conditions leaves are falling early. If I were to bring the FC up to SLAM level and cover what would happen? I would still be able to test, run filter and add chlorine daily if needed. I climb under the cover...lol. I hate this time of year! Bring back summer and 100 temp!

Yes, we don't swim w water temp lower than 78. Only use a tarp that works great for no longer than we cover it. Just want to make sure it's ok since the water temp isn't below 60. I wouldn't have to close at all if it weren't for these blankety blank trees.

If you get the pool fairly clean before covering I don't see a need to go to SLAM level perhaps just above target so you don't have to add so often. You may want to pull the cover off every couple of weeks just to check on things, brush and clear any CC that may build up.

In NJ, the weather becomes pretty cool towards the end of September and because of the leaves that fall, I close my pool. My FC level is usually around 7-10 ppm and I add Poly-Quat 60. Each year, I open the pool up no later than 2nd or 3rd week of April. This year, was the 3rd week because I wanted the back yard cleaned up first. You can close your pool, even though temperatures are not where they need to be, but the key is to open up early. When I open the pool, the water clears up very quickly.

I put my cover on last week just to keep the leaves out. Will probably close it in the next 2 weeks, I did bump up my Chlorine levels and left my vacuum in so I can still run it but at least I won't have to deal with a thousand leaves falling in it every day. When I go to close I will just remove the parts of the cover that I need to access the jets when blowing out the lines.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.