Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Seriously need to cover my pool but.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Seriously need to cover my pool but.....

OMG guys.....in Al where we're still in the 80s and 60s at night. Water temp is 76. But I have a gazillion trees around my pool and pine straw and leaves are falling like mad creating a huge mess in the pool that I can't keep up with. I normally don't close until the water temp is 60, but with no rain and dry conditions leaves are falling early. If I were to bring the FC up to SLAM level and cover what would happen? I would still be able to test, run filter and add chlorine daily if needed. I climb under the cover...lol. I hate this time of year! Bring back summer and 100 temp!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Seriously need to cover my pool but.....

Anyone?
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Do you want to close your pool? And are you planning on using the pool and what type of cover do you have? You can cover the pool, bring up to shock level based on CYA, and you will only have to add chlorine maybe once a week.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Frog Mineralizer System (EMPTY) - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Pool Company tests water (NO LONGER) TF-100 TEST KIT
    Date of Build is 11-2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, we don't swim w water temp lower than 78. Only use a tarp that works great for no longer than we cover it. Just want to make sure it's ok since the water temp isn't below 60. I wouldn't have to close at all if it weren't for these blankety blank trees.
    Montgomery, AL

5. Back To Top    #5

If it were me, I'd put the cover on and peel it back every so often to check chlorine and peek on the water until it got cold enough to do a full close.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

If you get the pool fairly clean before covering I don't see a need to go to SLAM level perhaps just above target so you don't have to add so often. You may want to pull the cover off every couple of weeks just to check on things, brush and clear any CC that may build up.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

In NJ, the weather becomes pretty cool towards the end of September and because of the leaves that fall, I close my pool. My FC level is usually around 7-10 ppm and I add Poly-Quat 60. Each year, I open the pool up no later than 2nd or 3rd week of April. This year, was the 3rd week because I wanted the back yard cleaned up first. You can close your pool, even though temperatures are not where they need to be, but the key is to open up early. When I open the pool, the water clears up very quickly.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Frog Mineralizer System (EMPTY) - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Pool Company tests water (NO LONGER) TF-100 TEST KIT
    Date of Build is 11-2013

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks y'all....I do keep my pool sparkly and use my robot just about everyday so I know it'll be good and clean before I cover it. Think I'll wait til next weekend though so I can look at it a few more days...I open in March.
    Montgomery, AL

9. Back To Top    #9

I put my cover on last week just to keep the leaves out. Will probably close it in the next 2 weeks, I did bump up my Chlorine levels and left my vacuum in so I can still run it but at least I won't have to deal with a thousand leaves falling in it every day. When I go to close I will just remove the parts of the cover that I need to access the jets when blowing out the lines.
    My pool 20x40 Vinyl Liner 24k gallons Sta-Rite P6E6E-206L Max-E-Pro Energy 1 HP System Filtration DE Polaris BP960 pump Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Thankfully here in Bama I don't have to worry about blowing lines etc. the few nights it gets below freezing I just run my pump.
    Montgomery, AL