Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Top of filter is leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Top of filter is leaking

I just noticed this morning that the top of my sand filter is slowly leaking water. I won't be able to check it out until later so I was curious offhand what I might be looking at? Is it just a tightening issue? Possibly a ring that need to be replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Top of filter is leaking

Try tightening the black lid on top, or remove the lid if tightening does not help and clean off all mating surfaces, you shouldn't need a new quad-ring (o-ring) that's under the lid, you usually have to put some effort into removing the lid they can be tight, most likely a slight tightening of the lid is all that needs to be done.

Replace the 0-60 psi gauge on top to, its old, cloudy lens and all,

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmachine81 View Post
    Try tightening the black lid on top, or remove the lid if tightening does not help and clean off all mating surfaces, you shouldn't need a new quad-ring (o-ring) that's under the lid, you usually have to put some effort into removing the lid they can be tight, most likely a slight tightening of the lid is all that needs to be done.

Replace the 0-60 psi gauge on top to, its old, cloudy lens and all,
    Thanks, I was able to unscrew the lid pretty easily so I cleaned up the gunk around the lid and re screwed it back on and it works great. Thanks for the insight. And you are right about the gauge, it's been on my list to fix. Are gauges pretty standard and I could just get any that has the correct PSI range?

4. Back To Top    #4

Just get a generic 0-60psi back mount gauge, you have the original pentair gauge with the adjustable dial on it now it appears, unless you like the adjustable dial that reminds you when to backwash, i would just get the 0-60 without the adjustable dial.

Don't get a 0-100psi gauge, don't get a liquid filled gauge, just get the gauge i suggested, pool's are not race cars so don't buy into all the hype, remember it's a hole in the backyard that has water in it, as long as you try not to let it get green, you should be fine.

Doesn't anybody swim in the canals anymore!!....(a little Phoenix humor)

(I am a pool repair tech in Phoenix)

5. Back To Top    #5

Doesn't anybody swim in the canals anymore!!....(a little Phoenix humor)
    When I was growing up, I thought that if you went swimming in the canals then zombies would grab you from under the water and drag you under..... I guess all the PSA's worked on me as a kid.

6. Back To Top    #6

, don't get a liquid filled gauge, pool's are not race cars so don't buy into all the hype, remember it's a hole in the backyard that has water in it, as long as you try not to let it get green, you should be fine.
    You DO need one of the liquid filled ones for them to last any time at all. I went through several cheap ones before I broke down and bought a "good" one (liquid filled)..........I have not replaced it after about a year now so it has paid for it's self!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    You DO need one of the liquid filled ones for them to last any time at all. I went through several cheap ones before I broke down and bought a "good" one (liquid filled)..........I have not replaced it after about a year now so it has paid for it's self!

Kim
    I agree on the liquor filled gauge lasting longer.

- - - Updated - - -

Just get a generic 0-60psi back mount gauge, you have the original pentair gauge with the adjustable dial on it now it appears, unless you like the adjustable dial that reminds you when to backwash, i would just get the 0-60 without the adjustable dial.
    I much prefer the 0-30 gauge as it's easier to see the difference between numbers. On the 0-60 you can't see any difference in pressures at any position other than the "5" spots.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I much prefer the 0-30 gauge as it's easier to see the difference between numbers. On the 0-60 you can't see any difference in pressures at any position other than the "5" spots.
    DITTO on both, 0-30 PSI & Liquid filled gauge, this gauge has lasted years and the lens is always clear TFTestkits.net
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    I don't think a liquor filled gauge would last very long around here.

But my liquid filled gauge from TFTestkits.net is working great!
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

10. Back To Top    #10

add me to the pile of satisfied tf100 liquid filled gauge owners. Mine's been in 1 year and works great.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Jandy Lite2 LJ250N gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Now, back to the original question of the OP.....

From the looks of it I have the exact same sand filter. Mine has a slow weap at that top "O" ring also. I have removed the top re-seated and lubed the "O" ring with now change. To be honest, unless you can sit there and watch water flowing out I would 't worry. Mine is a little damp at times, but no gushers....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon