Used Sundance Cameo Getting Ready to Start Up

twodogs02

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2012
I purchased a 2014 Cameo from a couple near DC that didn't want the spa (it came with their house) for $1,500. I drove 7 hours to get it. I've run the wiring and cut off box now I'm waiting on the electrical inspector to come out next week, then I can start things up.

Ahh some has been ordered and I plan to treat the spa once it powers up. The question I have relates to the UV light. The top panel was showing the bulb needed changing b4 we drained and loaded it. I'm skeptical about UV purification when the water is quickly recycling with foul water, added to that the chlorine consumption from UV light. I have a pool and I'm very good with maintaining water chemistry so....

I've read lots of posts on here for and against UV and ozone. I'm leaning toward leaving the existing bulb in there and starting up without changing it. I have plenty of dichlor and liquid chlorine handy and would go this route and forget about the UV initially.

I plan to track spa usage (participants and hours) and chlorine consumption up until the first water change. At this point I might change the bulb, treat with ahh some, refill and see if there are any differences in chlorine consumption with a new bulb. The cost of a bulb is a lot of liquid chlorine since it's $16 for 5 gallons...and I'm sure you can surmise, I like to save money since I drove 7 hrs for this tub.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Your plan is a good one. UV in a hot tub is helpful in oxidizing bather waste so it isn't a waste of money like it is in a pool. But, it is perfectly fine to maintain a tub without it. I use the dichlor then bleach process also with no UV and it is great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.