SLAM Questions - Some Strange Readings?

May 9, 2016
Lynchburg, VA
About three days ago, I discovered my pool had turned minty green and there was some visible algae on my steps. I thought it was strange that I had algae, because the FC level never went below the minimum of 2 ppm for my CYA level of 30. I think the issue was that I left the pump off for two days due to some problems with an air leak, and we had a lot of rain during that time.

What I found really unusual though was that even with visible algae, my CC level has been at 0 or below .5 ppm the entire time, including when the algae bloom started. I also passed an OCLT the first night of my SLAM.

I have been SLAMing my pool for three days now with no real results. The color seems to have lightened somewhat, but there's no end in sight. I have been brushing once per day and have left the pump on 24/7. I was hoping to close my pool this weekend, but I'd like to get the algae clear first. However, falling leaves (and worse, hundreds of acorns) are starting to be a real pain in the butt.

So is there anything I'm missing? Is it unusual to have algae this long with no readable CC? Should I close the pool with some algae and deal with it in the Spring or be patient and keep SLAMing until that algae is completely clear?

Latest test results:
FC = 14
CC = 0
CYA = 30
PH = 7.5 (from before SLAM)
TA = 70
CH =260

Thank you both. It's good to hear others didn't have CC with algae. I was worried there may have been a filtration problem. This is my first summer with a pool so i wasn't sure. I think I was spoiled too because when I did a SLAM at the beginning of the summer the algae cleared up on one night.

I'll keep going and plan to close next weekend. In truth it's probably still too warm to close anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.