Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safety cover bolts stuck

1. Back To Top    #1

Safety cover bolts stuck

I'm trying to losen the safety cover bolts so we can put the cover on when done closing and they so tight they bent the Allen wrench tool.

Christopher

21' x 43' IG 40K Gallon vinyl and concrete pool; liner: 2016; Hayward DE7220 filter; Maytronics M400; TFT-100; Speed-Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safety cover bolts stuck

How many bolts? Are all stuck like this?

Picture of offending bolt? (photo of damaged tool is nice, but photo of problem bolt might be more useful to get suggestions)
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

3. Back To Top    #3

Safety cover bolts stuck

I only tried four so far and 1 turned, one twisted tool and two the entire anchor spun in hole.

It hit them with wd40 and will hit them again in 20 minutes. I'm out trying to find stronger tool and a long bit I can hook to power drill.

It is a big pool so there alot.
    Christopher

21' x 43' IG 40K Gallon vinyl and concrete pool; liner: 2016; Hayward DE7220 filter; Maytronics M400; TFT-100; Speed-Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

They can get pretty tight. I take mine all the way out and clean the threads when I take the cover off in the spring because I've had them stuck before.

I'd put penetrating oil on them and tap them with a hammer. When you start to take them out, tap the wrench with a hammer gently to try to start the threads moving. Torch would be the next step.

I had one where the insert was apparently bent during installation and I never could get it to work until I put a new one in that hole.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you need to put any adhesive in when replacing the socket or they just drop in?

Christopher

6. Back To Top    #6

Tapping the bolt is good. An impact driver is better, either electric or manual.
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by SirSwimAlot View Post
    Do you need to put any adhesive in when replacing the socket or they just drop in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They have ridges, and they are driven in with a special tool. If the holes are oversized from the drill moving the ridges may not engage. I put epoxy designed for masonry and metal in the hole before tapping my replacement in. It's holding fine so far.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

Wd40 and a new hex
    Tool helped. I got most of them lose except for five which spun out of hole. I manually loosened a few with hex wrench and vise grips but might need to buy a couple new ones.

Christopher

9. Back To Top    #9

FYI-put a bit like this in your drill backwards and it will be the right size
    http://www.irwin.com/tools/fastener-...ead-power-bits
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by 440dodge440 View Post
    FYI-put a bit like this in your drill backwards and it will be the right size
    http://www.irwin.com/tools/fastener-...ead-power-bits
    Wow wish I knew that before I bought bits. Didn't realize the bit bases are 1/4" unless I got home and noticed it myself as well. Lol.
    Christopher

11. Back To Top    #11

I had three seize up on me a year or two ago. The whole thing came out. I used quickrete anchoring epoxy to put the new ones in since they wouldn't grab when I put them in. I rinse the holes, and use wd-40 type lube spring and fall, and they are always pretty easy to get out. Didn't know about the drill bit. That'll speed things up when I close my pool.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100