Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine super high???!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine super high???!!!!

Hey guys doing a final swim before closing for season and checked levels and here's what i got.
    TC 26!!!
    PH 7.8
    CYA 60.
    I turned off chlorine gen yesterday. Not sure why my chlorine spiked. Pool has been covered with auto cover last 2 weeks basically. Can that have an effect?? This was tested with TF100
    20x40 rectangle, 28,500 gallons, Vinyl liner, Hayward cartridge filter VSP, Hayward aqua connect automation, connected spa with overflow, Hayward heater, automatic cover, TF100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine super high???!!!!

With a cover, the chlorine generator needs to be turned way down or off. The cover prevents chlorine loss.

3. Back To Top    #3

Can I swim in this?
    20x40 rectangle, 28,500 gallons, Vinyl liner, Hayward cartridge filter VSP, Hayward aqua connect automation, connected spa with overflow, Hayward heater, automatic cover, TF100 kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Chlorine breakdown from sunlight would be way down with the cover on, so if your SWG continued to run at its usual rate, chlorine levels would be expected to go up during those two weeks with the cover on. I think you're on the right track with your suspicions of what happened.

Do you usually have the pool uncovered during daylight hours, during the warmer part of the swim season?

- - - Updated - - -

The recommendation around here is that it is safe to swim up to SLAM level (which would be 24 for CYA at 60). So you are not significantly above that (within testing error range). I wouldn't worry about it. Letting the chlorine levels drop a bit isn't a bad idea, of course, but that should happen anyway, now that you've turned off the SWG.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, never really had it covered this long in summer it was open everyday for hours upon hours. Only closed at night. I guess I should turn SWG down. It's set at 80%. Thanks for all input!!