Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Warm Climate People - need advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Arizona City, AZ

Warm Climate People - need advice

This is my first year with my pool in AZ. In the past I've had small above ground pools and in the winter I just ignored them. I am sure that isn't the best practice. I was wondering from the Warm Climate people, during the fall/winter when it will be too cold to swim, how often are you checking things like PH and Chlorine levels?

18ftx36ft 20k gal inground vinyl liner pool. 5ft 6in deep end, 3ft 4in shallow end. 1 1/2 hp Valterra pool pump (to be replaced next season). Valterra 24inch Sand Filter. k-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Warm Climate People - need advice

Once that pool temp hits takes a lot less chemical management. Check yours often until it does and make yourself a log of test results and temps.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Tempe, AZ

It is indeed much less trouble during the winter here in AZ. But don't get lulled into complacency like I did last year. In late winter/early spring last year I found myself with an algae bloom sure to the longer and warmer days consuming my chlorine faster than deep winter.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

You don't want to ignore your pool. The first year we had our pool I got complacent and ignored it for weeks on end. The pH spiked up and, by the springtime I had horrible calcium scale all over my tile. However, the good news as others have pointed out is that your chlorine and pH fluctuations will greatly decrease with temperature. When late November hits and my water temps drop below 62F, my SWG stops working. Last winter, I think I may have added about 3 gallons of bleach total for the entire winter until my SWG came out of winter cold water slumber. My pool was completely open the entire time but even then the pH and FC were very stable.

Anyway, every pool is a little different but you can easily get away with testing once per week and making small adjustments. It's always good to keep a log (written or electronic) so you can track levels.

Good luck.
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates