Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ICF pool in Canad

1. Back To Top    #1

ICF pool in Canad

Hey folks,

Up here in the great white. I have taken on to build my own pool and its the very first one for me. I have used 8" core ICF and built buttress walls in the deep end. To make a long story short My pour set up way to fast for me to trowel my concrete smooth. I am in the process of contracting out maybe an over pour?? To get it all smooth. Have looked into using Meadow patch as well.

So I have a few questions to ask the forum.

Would you concrete guys recommend a patch or an overopour? (see pictures)

And has anyone used sider crete in the north? pros cons?

Has anyone had experience with using sika 107 ? I have seen one in my area that has worked for three seasons without fail.

What other products are available to seal both the ICF and Styrofoam?

Before you say why not drop in a vinyl liner notice that I poured a giant concrete step that has made this not possible. and I would still have to manage my honeycombed slope.

Any advice skilled or not appreciated. IMG_6528.jpgIMG_6466.jpgIMG_6528.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: ICF pool in Canad

Ok, I'm just shooting out this question but I have no idea if this is possible or not: Can it be sanded down smooth??

Yip
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide

I believe I've seen liner installs over steps. Not sure if the cost would be higher than plaster, though. The sanding idea might work in conjunction with the liner.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes a diamond blade was used for a little bit in the shallow pool. But the equipment is not made to do such a steep slope. So this is why I'm looking at the overlay/patch. I would expect the reason why a liner over steps doesn't work is because of the wear and tear associated with all that traffic. One dog would do it in.

5. Back To Top    #5

Its only my opinion, but this shape seems complex enough that Plaster would be a better option. I think it could be used to smooth things out as well, but hopefully someone skilled in this can give better advice.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

6. Back To Top    #6

Depends on what you want. What were you attempting? A concrete pool with paint? If that's the goal then there are several products available that will allow you to skim coat the area. If done properly they turn out well.

Rapidset has several products. Cementall can be applied from a featheredge to 4 inches. Rapidset can be manipulated to control set time.

However, I strongly suggest you finish the pool with high end plaster. It covers many many sins. Results in a beautiful pool. And lasts 15 plus years.

Paint will last 3 years at best (more likely the spouse will be asking questions in year 2).

One question is whether your pool has a rebar grid in the floor and wallls and is it connected to a equapotential bonding system. If no you should put a liner it.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Smile Re: ICF pool in Canad

Yes I have 5/8 rebar every 8 inches in the vertical as well as horizontal.
    I will look into these products you have mentioned.

8. Back To Top    #8

You could remove interior foam and apply conventional plaster finish.