Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining Pool for Hurricane

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining Pool for Hurricane

I live on the islands in Savannah and we're heading out tonight because of Matthew so I will not be here to run the waste function on the pump as water levels rise. I am looking to drain the pool to prevent major overflow, but I'm fearful of causing a problem with it "popping". It is a vinyl liner. Been looking online to see how much I can drain before the structural issues become a threat, but so far no luck. Only thing I see is "call a professional", which is obviously not an option at this point. Does anyone know how much I can drain safely?
    23,000 gallon IG vinyl pool, Sand Filter Hayward Vari-Flo XL Valve Model

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Draining Pool for Hurricane

You should be safe at draining a foot or so of water, also raise your FC up to SLAM level as you will have a lot of organics blown in. If you have some, you might even put some trichlor pucks in a floater.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow, I thought I would be able to drain more than that and be safe so I'm glad to I asked. Thank you for your response!
    23,000 gallon IG vinyl pool, Sand Filter Hayward Vari-Flo XL Valve Model

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd do the opposite. Make sure it is absolutely full. The last thing you want is ground water popping the pool. Overflow is not an issue for a pool at all.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat