Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH=150, CSI=0, ok to close?

1. Back To Top    #1

CH=150, CSI=0, ok to close?

Hi - big fan of TFP and really appreciate the expert advice here....

Just checking before I close the pool this weekend.
    CH =150
    pH = 7.8
    CSI = 0.0 (Poolmath)
    FC = 5.4
    CC = 0.0
    TA =100
    CYA = 30

I know ideally CH should be higher but I've kept it this way because the previous owner left a lot of calcium deposits on the surface of the plaster.
    Another factor is that the pH in this pool always wants to climb to 7.8 - 8.0. I have repeatedly tried muriatic acid and dry acid, which reduce pH, but after a few days it just climbs back up to 7.8 - 8.0!

What are the risks of leaving the water as is for the winter (covered with mesh safety cover)?

30k gallon inground gunite, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 Catridge Filter, 2 main drains, 2 skimmers, 4 wall returns, 2 floor returns, 2 Jandy valves, 2 underwater lights (hey, I didn't design this thing...), LoopLoc safety cover for the winter, average chlorine usage over 3 years: 1.2ppm/day, using 12.5% sodium hypochlorite ($3/gal) and following TFP PoolMath directions. Works great!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: CH=150, CSI=0, ok to close?

Can't answer the CH question (sorry) BUT do see what might be causing your PH to jump so hard. Your TA is listed as 100. If you bring that down to 80 your PH might stop jumping so fast. Each pool is very different so you might have to play with your TA to find what YOUR pool likes. Once you find YOUR TA you should see the PH level out.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Central Minnesota

In Pool Math, what do you currently have the temperature set at? How does the CSI change if you lower the temp to 32 degrees? If that number is still above -0.6, you should be fine. Bumping the CH up and lowering the TA a little next spring wouldn't hurt, depending on your pH stability this summer.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Yes, what JV says. Temp impacts CSI. The risk is etching of your plaster. Etching is when calcium dissolves out of the plaster into the water leaving a rough and pitted plaster surface. What is the CH of your fill water? I would probably raise CH to 250. More about etching here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Pool School - Recommended Levels
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach