Pool depth

Drew80

Feb 26, 2013
Austin, TX
Another thread about planning our new build in Austin, TX. We're not interested in a "deep end" of the pool - we just want a party pool where adults can stand comfortably, and we will probably occasionally play volleyball. Two questions:

1. What depth should that be? 4'? Should we have an area deeper than that to keep temperatures cool?
2. Assuming we don't need a deeper area for cooling, is there another reason the floor should slope, or can we do a continuous level?

Do you ever want to swim in this pool? Because making it too shallow risks scraped knuckles on the bottom. I would make the minimum depth 4 feet, and the rest 5 feet. People do like to stand in water, float in tubes and on noodles, etc.

And yeah... too shallow you do risk it feeling like swamp water in July and August in hot climates.

Yippee :flower:

But keep in mind Rollercoastr- Michigan doesn't get near as hot as Austin, TX and the swim season is much longer there. I think a little extra depth is going to provide more options as well as being more comfortable.

Yip, these "play/sports pools" are deep in the center. (although it's admittedly hard to tell in that real-estate listing pic) If you look at the reflection from the master bedroom windows, you can see how the bottom comes to a fairly sharp V.

Jimrabhe mentioned a 6' deep section. I think my friends had over 6' of depth in the center.

Sadly, they sold the home before I could hook them up with TFP!

One other thing to keep in mind if this is a Shotcrete pool then where pool builders end up ordering too much Shotcrete (wet mix) in the concrete truck they often put it on too thick making the pool shallower than planned. Also make sure you agree with your pool building depth measured to the water line, not depth measured to the edge of the pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.