Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool depth

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool depth

Another thread about planning our new build in Austin, TX. We're not interested in a "deep end" of the pool - we just want a party pool where adults can stand comfortably, and we will probably occasionally play volleyball. Two questions:

1. What depth should that be? 4'? Should we have an area deeper than that to keep temperatures cool?
    2. Assuming we don't need a deeper area for cooling, is there another reason the floor should slope, or can we do a continuous level?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool depth

Do you ever want to swim in this pool? Because making it too shallow risks scraped knuckles on the bottom. I would make the minimum depth 4 feet, and the rest 5 feet. People do like to stand in water, float in tubes and on noodles, etc.

And yeah... too shallow you do risk it feeling like swamp water in July and August in hot climates.

Yippee
    Maddie- TFP Guide. 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Drew,

What you want is a "play pool".. normally 3.5' to 4' on each end, and 6' or so, in the middle. Works great for playing volley ball.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

4. Back To Top    #4

4' x 5' x 4' is perfect. 3.5' is too shallow
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Drew,

What you want is a "play pool".. normally 3.5' to 4' on each end, and 6' or so, in the middle. Works great for playing volley ball.

Jim R.
    Friends of mine had this layout. They called it a "sports pool", and they loved it.

ISdw9t2p2pjok91000000000.jpg
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair Superflo VS pump, TF-100 kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

But keep in mind Rollercoastr- Michigan doesn't get near as hot as Austin, TX and the swim season is much longer there. I think a little extra depth is going to provide more options as well as being more comfortable.
    Maddie- TFP Guide. 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Yip, these "play/sports pools" are deep in the center. (although it's admittedly hard to tell in that real-estate listing pic) If you look at the reflection from the master bedroom windows, you can see how the bottom comes to a fairly sharp V.

Jimrabhe mentioned a 6' deep section. I think my friends had over 6' of depth in the center.

Sadly, they sold the home before I could hook them up with TFP!
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair Superflo VS pump, TF-100 kit

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I looked at your picture again and now I see what you mean. When I read "play pools" I imagined one depth the entire pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

One other thing to keep in mind if this is a Shotcrete pool then where pool builders end up ordering too much Shotcrete (wet mix) in the concrete truck they often put it on too thick making the pool shallower than planned. Also make sure you agree with your pool building depth measured to the water line, not depth measured to the edge of the pool
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for all the answers! I think we'll go 4-5-4. 6' is just too deep for anyone to be able to stand, and we definitely don't need a 3.5' section.

11. Back To Top    #11

Agreed. 6' is not a useful depth. Still not good for diving or deep swimming and only LeBron can stand up.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Another vote for the 4-5-4 layout. I'm 6' and my wife is 5' 3". There's a "sweet spot" for both of us to hang out at.

plat.
    Modern Geometric-ish Social Pool (4'-5'-4') ~13' x 47'. Sun shelf. Perimeter overflow spa. RiverFlow Swimjet. Dog ramp. "Bubble Lounge"
    Link to my patio build, completed 2013
    Link to my pool build, Aug '15 - Sep '16