Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaner question

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaner question

I am new to all this, so please be easy on my terminology

I have a hole on the side of my pool that I use when cleaning. When I use the cleaner that was with the pool (floats on the surface and has two hoses that rest on the pool floor and blow air to stir up debris) I have to turn the sweep valve open and screw in an adapted in that hole that the cleaner connects to. I have to start the booster pump, then it starts to move.

Conversely, when I vacuum the pool, I unscrew that adapter and screw in a hose connection in that same hole. I have to open the vacuum valve, I connect the hose from the vacuum head to this hose connection adapter, I turn on the filter pump, and close some skimmers to get suction and then can vacuum.

That should give you an idea of what I have.

Looking for automatic cleaners. If I understand correctly, Pressure side cleaners would require me to open the sweep valve and turn on the booster pump to use. Suction side cleaners would allow me to not use the booster pump, and use as I use my manual vacuum.

Is this correct? How do the robots work?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

IG Tile/Concrete Pool - 12,000 gal or so, Targus Sand Filter, Pentair single speed pump
    IG Tile/Concrete Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaner question

Hi, most people use the term robot to mean a cleaner with an electric cord only (no water hoses). They have a filter bags you clean or change.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

3. Back To Top    #3

Im aware that robots are not pressure or suction side cleaners. You just plug them in and thats it?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

IG Tile/Concrete Pool - 12,000 gal or so, Targus Sand Filter, Pentair single speed pump
    IG Tile/Concrete Spa

4. Back To Top    #4

big,

That's all there is. Robots are like cell phones, technology wise, where Pressure and Suction cleaners are more like those old black rotary dial phones.

Read this... http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...iscovery/page2

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have some stairs up to a shallow end. Will robots scale those steps? How about pressure/suction side cleaners?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

IG Tile/Concrete Spa

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Don't buy ANY cleaner expecting it to clean your steps. Some will, some wont. Just assume you will have to brush and then be surprised if your auto-vac does it for you. (one of my robots did, but it was painful to watch it struggle.)
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Didnt want it to specifically CLEAN the steps, but would like it to scale the steps into the shallow end to clean that area.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

IG Tile/Concrete Spa