Deliberating a VSP, does this idea make sense?

gilbee

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2015
Harvey, LA
I currently have a two pump system:

1 - Hayward 2 speed 2HP pump that handles circulation of the pool and spa; intakes from the pool and spa come into this pump, go through the filter and heater, then are split back out to pool and two lower jets in the spa via a jandy three proportioning valve.
1 - Hayward 2HP pump (maybe 2 speed, but it's wired to a switch so only runs on high) that has an intake from the same plumbing circuit as the spa intake going to the first pump (i.e., the spa has two drains in the bottom of it, both pumps tie to both of these drains), but the output is to 6 or 8 jets in the upper portion of the spa. This pump does not tie into the filtration or heating system, only recirculates water in the spa.

To get the spa to blow out of all of the jets today, you have to run both pumps. Because they're tied together at the drain, this can cause one pump to rob the other and cause it to slowly lose prime (pump dynamics would explain that two pumps that share an inlet but one has more outlets will move more water than the other, which will rob the pump with less outlets of water). To overcome this, we have either made sure to run only one pump at a time (heat the water with the main pump then turn off and recirc with the second pump) or draw a little bit of cold water from the pool to supply the main pump with enough water to not lose prime, which makes heating inefficient, but it works.

Our main pump is now leaking some water (I've replaced the seal once before but the thing is over 15 years old) and I'm thinking it's a great time to look at newer pumps. When I do this, I'm thinking of replacing both 2hp pumps with a single 3hp VSP instead, and re-plumb things so that I can have one pump do it all. I'm thinking of the 3hp so that when I want to run the spa I can crank it up and get stronger flow to the jets that hit your back, but run it fairly low the rest of the time. This would also give me the benefit of having all of the jets in the pool flow through the heater, which I would think would make the heater more efficient as it would distribute warm water from more places in the spa.

I'm not really concerned that much about electrical cost (power is cheap here in Louisiana), but I suppose it's a plus. What do you guys think about this idea? Any alternatives come to mind? If I go VSP, what is the general consensus on make/model?

40 views and nothing? Even if you don't have an opinion on the combining of the pumps, can I at least get a recommendation on which VSPs are showing to be more reliable? I had a servicer recommend Pentair Intelliflo, but I've read some less than flattering reviews...

40 views and nothing? Even if you don't have an opinion on the combining of the pumps, can I at least get a recommendation on which VSPs are showing to be more reliable? I had a servicer recommend Pentair Intelliflo, but I've read some less than flattering reviews...

I think we are struggling with the idea of using one pump. I am no expert. So that may also be the issue. But to me, why not keep your bubbler pump (it is not leaking or so it seems), and then your variable speed pump can run at lower RPMs, and get you all the heat you need. My guess is also that the newer high efficiency pumps will be able to handle the higher head on the suction side.

The reason son I say this is, do you really want to have bubbles/jets 100% of the time?

I think your idea would likely work, but it is hard to visualize your exact setup as to choices, I would think Pentair Intelliflo VS but one of the models without SVRS.

Ike

p.s. I have to ask, what sort of less than flattering reviews have you found?

My bet is the reason you can't run both pumps at the same time is the the leaking seal is pulling air into that pump and causing it to loose prime. The only way to lose prime is to pull air into the system. I don't think you will be happy going to a single pump. I would suggest goin either isolating the suction for the two pumps and replacing or fixing the leaky seal on your main pump. By all means go with a vsp pump for your main pump and experiment with pump speeds. I think your real problem is with how the pumps are piped and possible air leaks on your suction side of the pumps.
As for which vsp is better I like the pentair pumps but I think the haywood pumps are probably just as good.

I have two pumps and replaced one with a an Intelliflo 3hp VS pump, but my setup is a bit different. My main pump, (now the VS) runs my filter, solar heating, SWG and floor cleaning system. The second pump runs the gas heater and powers the spa jets. I have valves that allow me to switch the second (spa) pump to draw from the same source as the main pump and return to the same returns. That allows for heating the pool with the gas heater.

I would suggest you could consider maintaining two pumps and make some changes in your plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.