PLEASE HELP - Can I close my pool with free chlorine at 13 ppm?

lcd98

Aug 30, 2015
Middletown, NJ
I am having my pool company close my pool tomorrow. I originally planned to have them do the chemicals because it is only my second closing and I am still learning. Then I looked at JasonLion's closing post and decided it would be better for me to do my own chemicals so that I could put some space between shocking and adding algaecide (which the pool company does at the same time). So I shocked it to 14 ppm FC yesterday (CYA was 35). This morning it was about 12.5 FC and this evening it went back up to 13 FC (probably because I still had the SWG running). I called the pool company to let them know I was doing my own chemicals and they said they usually don't close pools over 5 ppm FC. They also said to keep my pool filter on to see if the chlorine would go down. Since it went up by this evening, I shut off the SWG and left the filter running on low. Is it okay for me to close tomorrow with such high FC levels? Will the chlorine dissipate after closing? I have a fiberglass pool and I am concerned that it will damage the surface. Thanks so much for your time.

Signed,
A Newbie with Good Intentions

Thanks to all for your input. They wound up running late and coming the next day. By then, my FC was down to 7. I don't have a contract with an explicit guarantee. I will look into that for next year. Also, FWIW, they did test the water even though I did my own chemicals. Thanks again and have a nice weekend.

Thanks to all for your input. They wound up running late and coming the next day. By then, my FC was down to 7. I don't have a contract with an explicit guarantee. I will look into that for next year. Also, FWIW, they did test the water even though I did my own chemicals. Thanks again and have a nice weekend.

They always pull a sample at opening and closing. I do all my own chemicals as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.