Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PLEASE HELP - Can I close my pool with free chlorine at 13 ppm?

1. Back To Top    #1

PLEASE HELP - Can I close my pool with free chlorine at 13 ppm?

I am having my pool company close my pool tomorrow. I originally planned to have them do the chemicals because it is only my second closing and I am still learning. Then I looked at JasonLion's closing post and decided it would be better for me to do my own chemicals so that I could put some space between shocking and adding algaecide (which the pool company does at the same time). So I shocked it to 14 ppm FC yesterday (CYA was 35). This morning it was about 12.5 FC and this evening it went back up to 13 FC (probably because I still had the SWG running). I called the pool company to let them know I was doing my own chemicals and they said they usually don't close pools over 5 ppm FC. They also said to keep my pool filter on to see if the chlorine would go down. Since it went up by this evening, I shut off the SWG and left the filter running on low. Is it okay for me to close tomorrow with such high FC levels? Will the chlorine dissipate after closing? I have a fiberglass pool and I am concerned that it will damage the surface. Thanks so much for your time.

Signed,
    A Newbie with Good Intentions
    20K gal, IG fiberglass installed 8/25/15, Pentair Intelliflo 3 HP variable speed pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48sf DE filter, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Aqua Comfort ACT-1250 Heat Pump, 3 S.R. Smith Pal Treo Lights with WPC1, S.R. Smith Turbo Twister Slide, S.R. Smith Swim N' Dunk Salt Friendly Challenge Basketball Game, Aquabot Millenium XE robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit and K-1766 Salt Water Test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PLEASE HELP - Can I close my pool with free chlorine at 13 ppm?

It'll dissipate--just take longer do it. Go ahead and close. Filtering your water more has nothing to do with lowering your FC.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you think the closer is going to test your water? Probably not. Choose TFP.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post

I presume the tech will test the water.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    It'll dissipate--just take longer do it. Go ahead and close. Filtering your water more has nothing to do with lowering your FC.
    Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Agreed, which is why I thought it would be better to do it myself. Thank you.
    Last edited by lcd98; 10-05-2016 at 08:25 PM. Reason: accidental quick reply
    20K gal, IG fiberglass installed 8/25/15, Pentair Intelliflo 3 HP variable speed pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48sf DE filter, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Aqua Comfort ACT-1250 Heat Pump, 3 S.R. Smith Pal Treo Lights with WPC1, S.R. Smith Turbo Twister Slide, S.R. Smith Swim N' Dunk Salt Friendly Challenge Basketball Game, Aquabot Millenium XE robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit and K-1766 Salt Water Test

6. Back To Top    #6

I close with my pool at SLAM level which for me is 16. They do pull a sample but I never hear back from my pool company after they pull out of the driveway.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Do you have a contract with them that guarantees against damage? Mine fully guarantees my pipes and equipment against freeze damage. They let me do all the chemicals.

8. Back To Top    #8

PLEASE HELP - Can I close my pool with free chlorine at 13 ppm?

Sorry. Wrong thread.
    16'x34' 20K gal, IG vinyl, 1HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward S244T High Rate Sand Filter, Hayward Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward H250 PDN Heater, Hayward SharkVac, TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Installed April, 2015, fill with well water

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks to all for your input. They wound up running late and coming the next day. By then, my FC was down to 7. I don't have a contract with an explicit guarantee. I will look into that for next year. Also, FWIW, they did test the water even though I did my own chemicals. Thanks again and have a nice weekend.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by lcd98 View Post
    Thanks to all for your input. They wound up running late and coming the next day. By then, my FC was down to 7. I don't have a contract with an explicit guarantee. I will look into that for next year. Also, FWIW, they did test the water even though I did my own chemicals. Thanks again and have a nice weekend.
    They always pull a sample at opening and closing. I do all my own chemicals as well.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.