Cloudy water

Jun 8, 2009
My wife and I just bought a new home with an in-ground pool. Evidently it was not shut down properly last fall and now I have a mess. All the green is gone but I still have cloudy water to the point you can't see the bottom of the deep in. I can't vacuum it good without being able to see. The pool supply places has already cost me over $1,000.00. Can you all help me???? It is a 30,000 gal.

Let me be the first to say...Welcome :goodjob:

In order to help you we will need some more information.

Please read as much as you can in the "pool school" in the upper right hand corner.

Next, we need to know about your pool (filtration, previous chemicals, liner/plaster).

Finally, we need a full set of numbers before we can make any suggestions.

Welcome!

Like ideliver said, your first stop should be Pool School.

In the meantime... assuming all the algae is dead, it can still take a few days to a week to clear up the pool, depending on how bad it was and what kind of filter you have. Keep an eye on the pressure and clean/backwash as needed. Get us some test results for more specific suggestions.
--paulr

Hi Pastor A,

Ditto to the posts by ideliver and Paul. :wink:

We recommend you get a good test kit like the TF100 from TFTestKits.net - Taylor chems and best bang for the $$. This will put YOU in control of your pool and your wallet! Link in my sig.

$1000 pool store costs to clear a pool :shock: :shock: :grrrr: Geez, for that kind of $$, I'd expect a clear pool and a new SWG!. We'll help you get your pool balanced and sparkly.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

To add to the posters above, welcome. Do get the test kit, it makes all the difference in the world. I came onboard TFP about a month or so ago after having spent $$$$ at the pool store to no avail. Following the advice on pool school and on these forums to the letter (and using the test kit), my once green pool is now a sparkling oasis. First thing you need to do is get accurate 1st numbers from the test kit so you can get your water somewhat balanced. You'll probably need a lot of bleach to kill whatever is in your pool and stay on top of this 3-4 times per day. Your pump will be running 24/7 until you get it clear. And be patient......that was my one big struggle......I wanted it fixed yesterday!!!

My pool is 18 ft. wide 36 feet long and 8ft. deep on the deep end. I am still dragging piles of leaves out of the deep end and visibility is only about six feet. I have a vinyl liner and a hayward 1 hp pump. It is a sand filter and new sand was put in about a month ago. All kinds of chemicals have been added but many had no effect. It seems as if Floc cleared it up the most. My pump seems to be working hard and I have back washed religiously. Help I need help.

Do you know what chemicals were used?

Please post a full set of numbers. I would strongly suggest that you get the TF-100 test kit. You cannot go wrong with it. :goodjob:

In the meantime, you can take your water to the poolstore and post their results....but...DO NOT ADD ANY OF THEIR CHEMICALS.

You can continue to clean the leaves and debris from your pool. Keep your filter running 24/7 and watch your backpressures on your filter. :goodjob:

At this point, cleaning out the sludge is really the major task. Then dousing with chlorine to kill whatever's missed or too small to snag with the net.

There are a handful of different forms of chlorine; the kind that has the least side effects is sodium hypochlorite aka bleach. (Pool stores sometimes sell "liquid chlorine" which is basically double-strength bleach; sometimes it's cheaper that way, sometimes not.) Chlorine is the only thing we can guarantee you need right now; to say anything else we'd need to see test results.

So, rustle up a test kit; or at least take a quart of water to a pool store and have them test it--better than nothing.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.