Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PE1353 Wiring Help to Swap Single Speed to Dual Speed Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

PE1353 Wiring Help to Swap Single Speed to Dual Speed Pump

Hello community,

I need some help and advice on the wiring side. I have a single 240V circuit coming from the panel to my timer box. The 240V at the panel is connected to two x single 20amp breakers (which I do not believe are GFCI). At the timer box, I recently dumped the two yellow intermatics for a single PE1353 to provide more accurate on/off switching, specifically for my stenner pump. Current wiring is setup in Mode 1, with circuit #1 operating single speed Challenger pump, circuit #2 operates the heater (but it will never need a timer so it can move), and circuit #3 operating the stenner.

I am swapping our my old challenger single speed for a new B2983 dual speed. I will run another wire from switch to pump to accommodate the need. My equipment in the final state will include: B2983 pool pump, Pentair Heater, Stenner Pump. My plan is to wire as following:

Post 1 - 240 line from panel, jumper to post 3, line to heater
    Post 2 - 240 neutral from panel, line to B2983 pump common terminal, neutral to stenner, neutral to heater

Post 3 - jumper to 5
    Post 4 - load to B2983 high speed terminal

Post 5 - jumper to 7
    Post 6 - load to B2983 low speed terminal

Post 7 -
    Post 8 - load to stenner

Ground = 240 V, B2983, Heater, Stenner

I plan to use Mode 2 for the 1353 and will low speed (circuit 2) always for circulation on a scheduled basis and freeze protection. Hi speed (circuit 1) will always be manual and only used if I ever vacuum which I almost never do or heat the pool/spa. I may have mixed up the line/load terms above, but hopefully it makes sense.

I appreciate the advice from you experts. Thanks.
    15K gal rectangle with 1K gal spill over round spa | K-2006 Test kit | IG plaster | B2983 1.5HP 2 speed pump| Triton TR100 sand filter | Pentair MiniMax 400k BTU heater | Stenner 45MPHP10 w/ 15g tank | Dolphin M400 robot | screened pool cage covers pool entirely to keep it debris free and adds SPF | sun exposure estimate 8hr daily.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PE1353 Wiring Help to Swap Single Speed to Dual Speed Pump

Well I pulled the trigger and the setup above works just fine. Had no idea swapping to a 2 speed would reduce the pump noise that much. Now I can't wait to see the reduction in the electric bill.
    15K gal rectangle with 1K gal spill over round spa | K-2006 Test kit | IG plaster | B2983 1.5HP 2 speed pump| Triton TR100 sand filter | Pentair MiniMax 400k BTU heater | Stenner 45MPHP10 w/ 15g tank | Dolphin M400 robot | screened pool cage covers pool entirely to keep it debris free and adds SPF | sun exposure estimate 8hr daily.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: PE1353 Wiring Help to Swap Single Speed to Dual Speed Pump

Assuming the same size pump it will use 1/4 of the electricity on low.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach