Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hurricane coming

1. Back To Top    #1

Hurricane coming

Hi,

I live in West Palm BEach Fl, and it seems a large hurricane is coming, or at least a very big storm. Might lose my pool screen, but hopefully not.

Anyway, is there anything I should do to my perfectly balanced pool, before the storm comes?

Is the pool water drinkable?

Always keep it at:

FC 5-6
    TA 80
    CYA 80
    PH 7.5

Guess it will be a mess after the storm. Even though it is SWG, I always have about 12 gallons of bleach on hand.

thx
    12k SWG pool, free form. 1HP flotec pump, P90 Leslie's filter. Florida. Taylor 2006 test kit. I think plaster, waiting verification from here.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hurricane coming

No, the CYA makes it unsuitable for drinking. Fine for flushing toilets or bathing though.

Probably not much you can do chemically. If you are at risk for flooding, you might want to remove your pump, SWCG etc. and place them out of reach of the water.

It's important that your pool is full. This helps keep ground water from raising the shell.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

You may want to raise your FC up to SLAM level in advance as lots of organics will likely be blown in
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    You may want to raise your FC up to SLAM level in advance as lots of organics will likely be blown in
    This is what I plan on doing....

Expecting lots of wind and rain in our inland area.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd be more worried about FC at SLAM level that a bit of CYA over a short period of time for potable water. HOPEFULLY you have some bottled water on hand. Always a good plan any way. Still plenty of time to fill empty containers with tap water if stores are out in your area. Unfortunately though, you'll have more than enough water falling from the sky you can use a few drops of that bleach on for drinking water too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the advice. Ok on supplies - I always keep 14 flats of water bottles, food, 4 full propane gas canisters, and 10 gallons of bleach, at all times. So I did not need to do any panic buying. Metal storm shutters are all up - that took 2 days!

Will turn off pump now and add some bleach.

my biggest concern is my pool screen, but I have no control over that, so no point in worrying.....
    12k SWG pool, free form. 1HP flotec pump, P90 Leslie's filter. Florida. Taylor 2006 test kit. I think plaster, waiting verification from here.