Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ran de pump without water

1. Back To Top    #1

Ran de pump without water

To make a long story short I was lowering the water in my pool to close the pool but forgot to turn off power to my pump so it ran for a few hours without water. Did I damage my pump or should I be ok? This is a newer variable speed pump I bought a year ago
    25k Gallon Gunite Inground Pool
    Pentair FNS PLUS DE filter
    Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 (seems like single speed)
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Ran de pump without water

Was the pump HOT when you discovered it? Do you see any indication of the pump basket having warped?

Most importantly, does it pump water?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Pump didnt see hot and the pump basket seems fine. I didnt try pumping water since the water is below the skimmer line now.
    25k Gallon Gunite Inground Pool
    Pentair FNS PLUS DE filter
    Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 (seems like single speed)
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

4. Back To Top    #4

Once you have enough daylight to work with over there, let the water get back up, inspect the pump and connecting plumbing connections really well for any signs of warping, fill the pump basket with water, and crank it up. Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but I'm surprised to hear it ran so long with no water as I thought many of today's VS pumps had a heat-override protector built-in to shut it off in such circumstances. So perhaps you got lucky and it never really overheated too badly.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Texas Splash, I think OP is trying to close so may have the water lowered significantly.

precator, I see no reason you can't deal with it in the Spring as long as you have a good back up plan in the unlikely event it doesn't start. I think you are fine.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Doh. I slept right through that little piece of info.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!