First pool closing questions

brtims

Bronze Supporter
Jul 25, 2016
Nazareth PA
Hi
Sorry for the questions but after reading a ton I am confused on a few things.
4ft to 8ft deep inground vinyl liner pool. Steel structure framing. I live in Northeast PA so I expect a tough winter.

Question #1) With vinyl liner do I still drain water below the skimmer or is that a problem for the liner?? I have a gizzmo in there and plan to blow out lines with that in place. Not sure if I need to drain below skimmer or not due to vinyl liner

Question #2) I have a light just below the returns so that triggered question #1. If I drain 6 inches below skimmer I am close to the light and below returns. From what I have read the light should be > 4 inches below water surface.

Question #3) Assuming I do not need to drain below skimmer my returns will be underwater then. I have on hand those fancy one way plugs so I can blow out the line. I assume that is aok.

Question #4) I plan on using anit-freeze (Pool anti-freeze) in returns and skimmers after blown out. I live in NE PA so I assume this is an extra precaution

If I do not need to drain below skimmer questions 2-4 are null and void....I think :)

Thanks a ton for your help. I am close but just want to ensure I got it right.
Brian

Hi Brian,
#1 You don't need to drain below the skimmer. I had my pool closed by a local company last year and they didn't drain it (though a lot of snow did by pushing water up and out of the skimmers).
#4 it isn't necessary but won't hurt either.
I'm going to close the pool myself next year. How do you plan to connect the blower to the system? I'm in NY so I also experience freezing temps.
Thanks, Chris

Thanks Chris
I plan on using a shop vac to blow out the lines. I can isolate one return by turning a valve then using the cap on the gizzmo to blow out the other. First time doing this so I am hoping it works. Returns are the same approach using the return covers that allow water only one way.
So using the gizzmo is enough?? I don;t need to drain the water belowthe skimmer?
That is my biggest unknown at this point and fear of doing it wrong.
Thanks
Brian

Yes the gizmo will do the job. You can also use empty 1 quart bottles filled halfway with water and some pebbles in it to keep it weighted down a bit. They will still float but when freezing comes the bottle will get crushed a bit by the ice and the ice won't expand and crack your skimmer. I was reluctant to have the skimmers filled with water myself but after I checked around i felt it was OK and my pool did fine last year. It's all about having something in the skimmer, like the gizmo, to cushion the ice when when the water freezes.

What do you mean by using the cap on the Gizmo to blow out the other? The easiest way to close the pool is from the equipment pad. Some people, go by the threaded plug (npt fitting). Some people, use or remove the plumbing. Some people push air directly in and from the pump basket. I have a modified cover. I feel from the skimmer back to the filter and loop around is a long run. Below, please find some answers.

Question #1) With vinyl liner do I still drain water below the skimmer or is that a problem for the liner?? I have a gizzmo in there and plan to blow out lines with that in place. Not sure if I need to drain below skimmer or not due to vinyl liner

I would drain about 1" below the skimmer. You do not have to, but it makes blowing out the skimmer lines a lot easier. You can then install the Gizmo(s) and the skimmer drains will be free of water (vacuum out while blowing out)

Question #2) I have a light just below the returns so that triggered question #1. If I drain 6 inches below skimmer I am close to the light and below returns. From what I have read the light should be > 4 inches below water surface.

No need to get that low. You can drain 1" below the skimmer and plug the return jets in the water while they are being blown out. Please use the black rubber plugs as these create a nice tight seal.

Question #3) Assuming I do not need to drain below skimmer my returns will be underwater then. I have on hand those fancy one way plugs so I can blow out the line. I assume that is ok?

Some people use them, I have not. Personally, I like the black plugs as they create a nice tight fit. The one way plugs are designed so one person can close the pool and not have to run back to the pump and shut it off so no back pressure is built up.

Question #4) I plan on using anit-freeze (Pool anti-freeze) in returns and skimmers after blown out. I live in NE PA so I assume this is an extra precaution

Personally, I believe this is overkill. NE PA is similar to NJ, and probably a little colder. Unless your frost line is like near the upstate NY or like the Canadian side, I would do without, especially if the lines are blown out properly. If lines are blown out properly, there should be very little water left in the piping. Additionally, most piping is encased in concrete, providing extra thermal protection.

If you feel more comfortable with the Anti-freeze, then by all means use it. I would definitely use it if I lived in a colder state. NJ does get cold, but not crazy, like other parts of the country.

What I mean by using cap on the gizzmo is the following. I did all of this last night:
1) I put the gizzmos in both returns (threaded with teflon tape)
2) I took the top cap of the gizzmos off
3) I have a valve near the pup that isolates one return for vacuuming so I turned it to block off a skimmer
4) I removed all connections to equipment and put shop vac right on the return plumbing
5) I blew out water from the first gizzmo until it was barely a mist then capped off that gizzmo
6) I then opened up the valve and repeated for second skimmer. Water blew out of gizzmo again until less than a mist
7) I then capped off second gizzmo and returns were done.
8) I then did similar approach for the returns using the plugs that send water only one way. I connected shop vac directly to plumbing near equipment. Once I saw bubble flowing freely I waited another minute then put caps on those return plugs (not the solid rubber ones but now I am thinking about it since it is probably better.

I think I will use anti-freeze in both return and skimmers just to be safe. I also blew out all of the equipment. I will leave the sand filter plug out as well as plugs on bottom of the pump. I just taped the plumbing ends so no creatures go for a ride.
I plan on leaving the filter valve on "winter" setting and no remove it.
Does all of this sound legit?
Thanks a ton
Brian

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.