Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to keep spa open year round without use of salt system.

1. Back To Top    #1

How to keep spa open year round without use of salt system.

We have just purchased and completed the installation of an inground fiberglass pool with a built in spa from Leisure Pools. The pool is called The Ultimate The Ultimate | Leisure Pools USA The spa is heated and can be controlled independently of the pool so when we close it this year (soon) we will keep the spa open year round. I am almost 100% positive the spa when operated independently does not go through the salt system (checking with pool builder as we speak). Having said that, what are some alternatives to close the pool over the winter season, while keeping the spa chlorinated? Could I have a floating chlorine dispenser in the spa or any other/better recommendations?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to keep spa open year round without use of salt system.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsnodgrass View Post
    We have just purchased and completed the installation of an inground fiberglass pool with a built in spa from Leisure Pools. The pool is called The Ultimate The Ultimate | Leisure Pools USA The spa is heated and can be controlled independently of the pool so when we close it this year (soon) we will keep the spa open year round. I am almost 100% positive the spa when operated independently does not go through the salt system (checking with pool builder as we speak). Having said that, what are some alternatives to close the pool over the winter season, while keeping the spa chlorinated? Could I have a floating chlorine dispenser in the spa or any other/better recommendations?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Spoke to the pool builder and he recommended I have a floating chlorine dispenser. Anyone disagree?

3. Back To Top    #3

Not if it's got pucks. They add CYA, which won't go away. When it gets too high it'll interfere with the chlorine.

We keep ours running year round by putting it inside.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

So should I look to find one without pucks? And sorry this is my first pool we've ever owned, what do you mean by putting it inside?

5. Back To Top    #5

Better would be bleach, as it doesn't add CYA. But, one could surely argue that the smallish quantity chlorine from a winter's worth of spa maintenance would be small enough it will add very little CYA after that water gets mixed with the pool in the spring.

There are valid reasons why the standard method is to plumb the SWG cell on the pool-side return only. If you fully grok these reasons and have the appropriate control system to avoid the problems, then, I'd argue it's more flexible to have the cell upstream of the return selection valve, which would solve your problem of seasonal pool usage. I really doubt standard pool controllers can handle this level of "sophistication", even if it is a rather trivial bit of logic.
    ~john
    24.5K G, pebble, SuperFlo VS 1.5, 48sq DE filter, Hayward H250FDN, Autopilot RC-52, Poolvergnuegen & 3 daily swimmers in season.

6. Back To Top    #6

you could absolutely use trichlor pucks to chlorinate your spa.

As long as you are aware of their acidic nature, and counteract the falling alkilinity/PH, and keep the dissolving effluent away from your equipment.

Also, you need to be aware that for every 10ppm free chlorine added via trichlor, 6ppm CYA is added as well.

You need to be able to test for CYA, and free chlorine without shlepping a water sample to some store.

It is certainly doable. Spas are nice in the cooler part of the year.
    340 gallon stand alone spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

I maintain my hot tub using this process. Has worked great for quite a few years now.
    How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mcsnodgrass View Post
    So should I look to find one without pucks? And sorry this is my first pool we've ever owned, what do you mean by putting it inside?
    That was not a sophisticated bit of insider pool lingo... I think that poster has a separate spa, which is installed in the basement, according to his signature information. Not a convenient option in your case, I imagine!
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits