Pump to remove water from the pool to the yard

JoanK

Oct 4, 2016
Bradenton, FL
Does anyone have a recommendation for a utility pump to move water from the pool out to the yard?
We have had 5 days of heavy rain, (my trench drain is plugged with 15 years of yuck) plus Hurricane Matthew headed towards Florida, so I need a quick way to move water out to the yard.

We plan on re-doing the entire pool this winter, but need a good solution now.

Thanks!

Hello Joan and welcome to TFP! :wave: If your local hardware store doesn't provide rental pumps, you can shop locally or on-line at places like Harbor Freight or other such outlets for submersible pumps. You should be able to get a decent one with a good GPH capacity for under a $100. Here are a couple examples:
Submersible Utility Pumps - Utility Pumps - Pumps - The Home Depot
https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/submersible-pumps
Submersible Pumps - Grainger Industrial Supply
Submersible Utility Pumps | Water Pumps | Northern Tool + Equipment

Hope that helps.

Most pools have a way to directly drain using the pool pump. It will be either a spigot right after the pump or if you have a DE or sand filter with a multi-port filter, you can put the filter into waste mode which will direct the water to the waste port.

You don't mention the pool type in your post. If you fill your signature with pool info & model numbers and other info per the [URL="http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/3673-Rules-for-Signatures-and-Avatars-Please-Read] suggestions[/url] . It can help us easily identify what equipment you have installed.

Back to your question. I have an above ground pool and just use the drain on the filter to drop the water level with gravity feed. I use a flat hose with a screw in connection on the end to take the water away from the pool area. I don't have to use the pump, gravity does all the work. Since I don't have a specific valve (yet) on the drain, I just shut off the valves on either side of the filter when I make the connection. Then open the valves and it comes a flowing out...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.