Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump to remove water from the pool to the yard

1. Back To Top    #1

Bradenton, FL

Pump to remove water from the pool to the yard

Does anyone have a recommendation for a utility pump to move water from the pool out to the yard?
    We have had 5 days of heavy rain, (my trench drain is plugged with 15 years of yuck) plus Hurricane Matthew headed towards Florida, so I need a quick way to move water out to the yard.

We plan on re-doing the entire pool this winter, but need a good solution now.

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Pump to remove water from the pool to the yard

Hello Joan and welcome to TFP! If your local hardware store doesn't provide rental pumps, you can shop locally or on-line at places like Harbor Freight or other such outlets for submersible pumps. You should be able to get a decent one with a good GPH capacity for under a $100. Here are a couple examples:
    Submersible Utility Pumps - Utility Pumps - Pumps - The Home Depot
    Submersible Pumps - Grainger Industrial Supply
    Submersible Utility Pumps | Water Pumps | Northern Tool + Equipment

Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pleasanton, CA

Most pools have a way to directly drain using the pool pump. It will be either a spigot right after the pump or if you have a DE or sand filter with a multi-port filter, you can put the filter into waste mode which will direct the water to the waste port.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

And if all else fails, and you have a low spot in the yard to direct the water to- you can make a simple siphon using garden hose.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

5. Back To Top    #5
    Columbus, Ohio

You don't mention the pool type in your post. If you fill your signature with pool info & model numbers and other info per the suggestions . It can help us easily identify what equipment you have installed.

Back to your question. I have an above ground pool and just use the drain on the filter to drop the water level with gravity feed. I use a flat hose with a screw in connection on the end to take the water away from the pool area. I don't have to use the pump, gravity does all the work. Since I don't have a specific valve (yet) on the drain, I just shut off the valves on either side of the filter when I make the connection. Then open the valves and it comes a flowing out...

Aqua Leader Elegance AGP 15'x30'x 54", 12k gallons, vinyl J-hook liner ... Hayward / SwimPro Voyager pump SW159412STL, 2hp, 2spd, Voyager 175sf element filter SW175MDDVPAKS ... Liquid Chlorine... Baracuda 1500 vac, Installed August 2016 - all above came with our "premium package ....CYA/Chlorine Chart... Basic Care Schedule...Extended-Test-Kit-Directions...Pool Closing Info