Aqua-Rite no generating lights, LCD works

steve_h

Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
Trouble-free pools does it again. This forum is the best.
My Goldline Aqua-Rite had no lights lit but the LCD was working. The pool was a green swamp. Of course, this is the day before I was going to cover up the pool for the winter.
Shocked the pool and started troubleshooting.
A search on the internet turned up several TFP posts on a bad current limiting thermister (the round thingie about the size of a quarter) on the PCB. Seems to be a common problem. No lights, LCD working. Power and generating light come on for about 30 sec and then go out.
I did some troubleshooting inside the panel and inspected the PCB. Sure enough, the PCB was discolored around the thermister. I did not see any cracking and the thermister did not appear to be broken.
$7 later on Amazon Prime and a new thermister was on the way. I know I could have gotten it cheaper...but free 2 day shipping!!!!!
I covered the pool but did not shut down the pump/filter system. I wanted to have the pump available when the repair was completed to verify functionality.
Thermister arrived today. Not bad considering I ordered Sat night.
I de-soldered the old one, which split in 2 pieces. I did have to use a .046in drill bit to gently clean up the holes in the PCB.
Soldered the new one in and installed the repaired board.

Ta-da! The Aqua-Rite is working fine on Super-Chlorinate. Going to let it run a few days to hopefully kill some of the algae and then shut down the pump system.

Thanks again for a great bunch of people.

Glad you had success!

Why not save the life of the SWG and follow the SLAM Process process correctly and then close the pool correctly? Or just shut it down and deal with the algae in the spring with a true SLAM.

The SWG is not going to add enough FC fast enough to be very effective.

Guess I should/could. It was getting dark and the skeeters were eating me up!
I guess I more wanted to see if the repair works.

Besides, the algae should die off. I have a solid cover. No light. No photosynthesis = dead algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.