Can't remove old pop up, HELP!

Oct 3, 2016
Gilbert, AZ
I purchased a home built in 1997 recently and I am trying to replace all 14 pop ups on my pool, I was able to replace 13 of the 14 but I can not get the last broken one out of the pool. I have been using the special tool with the 3 spikes and my wife and I both tried turning the tool together and can't get it to budge and tried pulling it straight out in case it is already in the 'unlocked' position. As you can see, it is already broken as the middle is missing (attached picture). Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20161002_123201_resized.jpg
    20161002_123201_resized.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 38
Who is the manufacturer of the system? It might be worth a call to them to ask how to remove a broken head. Or chase down one of the local pool repair guys and ask them how (or how much they'd charge to remove it.

Thanks for the help Proavia, Shasta (in Phoenix) built the pool originally. I believe the current popup is an A&A mnfg. I'm thinking I may have to tinker with it when I drain my pool next but it sure would be nice to have a self cleaning pool before then.

I called Shasta and they want to send out a service Technician but I would think there should be a way to do it myself.

Any ideas?

A&A makes the system for Shasta. I'd call A&A directly and ask how to remove a broken head. If nothing else, maybe they can refer you to someone who would be cheaper than Shasta.

Or call around to a couple of local repair places and ask them.

From your pic, it looks like the outer shell of the head remains - stuck in the floor fitting. How deep is the water there? It may be possible to - carefully - wedge a pair of channel locks in there and twist.

After a while, the black o-ring tends to deteriorate and bind - making removal a bit more difficult. Lubing the o-ring before installing helps minimize this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.