help me pick the right DE filter

Jul 6, 2016
Gainesville, FL
In order to get a turn over in 8hrs, I probably need the 72GPM, but there is not much price difference between various sizes so I am wondering if I should buy one size too big, to reduce backwash frequency? (water/sewer costs a lot in my area)

Hayward Progrid prices on Amazon:

24 sq ft (48GPM)-->$552
36 sq ft (72GPM)-->$525
48 sq ft (96GPM)-->$601

Also not sure what motor horse power are these GPM rates based on? my pump specs are in the signature.

PS: reason behind changing from cartridge to DE: I get floaties at night, also pool is slightly cloudy during the day (despite multiple slam attempts, and proper chemical levels)

It could be more helpful if you could include the pump model and plumbing size, if your not sure maybe a picture of the equipment setup. A larger filter is usually recommended but it's best to size everything accordingly to also fit your budget

A filter one size larger is most always better. Before you buy, be aware that you will always have floaties regardless of the filter and the cloudiness in your water is not from the filter but most always from a chemistry issue.

I just recently replaced my 48 with a Quad DE80, replaced my slider valve with a High-flow valve, and streamlined my plumbing by using sweeps/45s vs. elbows wherever possible.

My head pressure was cut in half. I can now run my pump at 1100 RPM and the filter gauge won't come off the peg. Rough bottom line, I'm getting better flow at about half the RPM, and even less than half the power.

Said another way, the 100 dollar difference in the pump and the 130 dollar valve will pay for itself in abou 10 months. And then it pays me back after that. Over a reasonable life of the pump/valve, it will be free compared with just replacing what I had.

Not how much of that savings was the valve and how much was the oversized filter? Well this is like a both or neither--it is a weak link in the chain thing. Basically, if you have a highly restrictive filter, a high flow valve won't help much, and vice versa. But if you remove the highest restrictions in your system like I did, you get a big advantage.

Said another way, had I gone with the DE 100, that extra filter area and extra flow restriction reduction wouldn't have had an appreciable reduction in my system performance because the filter is no longer the weak link.

So to summarize, if you have a restrictive valve or restrictive system, reducing the flow friction on your filter (going a size larger) only won't pay as big a dividend.

Even then, there is another really cool benefit. Less frequent cleaning. My brother went with an oversized filter and he only needs to clean once per year (he has a shorter season than I do).

I was was cleaning every 3-4 months (I get a LOT of junk in my pool, lots of trees etc). I'm now hoping for every 6 mos.

IMO you should go even bigger. Our installer used the 60 ft2 version (DE 6020) with our 20k gal pool and it has been great. I don't have to backwash during the season; pressure usually rises only 1-2# during the entire season, and that's even with having a lot of trees around.

Your pool is even bigger, so I'd go with the 60ft2 at minimum and possibly even move up to the 72ft2 version.

IMO you should go even bigger. Our installer used the 60 ft2 version (DE 6020) with our 20k gal pool and it has been great. I don't have to backwash during the season; pressure usually rises only 1-2# during the entire season, and that's even with having a lot of trees around.

Your pool is even bigger, so I'd go with the 60ft2 at minimum and possibly even move up to the 72ft2 version.

I agree with this if your goal is minimal time between cleaning. For that you will pay a premium, which as kadavis says, depends on your pocketbook.

However, making sure it is -at least as free flowing as the rest of your system- will pay for itself in lower electricity bills, so going that large is a no brainer.

It could be more helpful if you could include the pump model and plumbing size, if your not sure maybe a picture of the equipment setup. A larger filter is usually recommended but it's best to size everything accordingly to also fit your budget

pictures:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

pipes are 1.9" OD

- - - Updated - - -

60 sq ft is actually cheaper than the rest ($453- I wonder why?)

The model pump you have is a Sta-rite Duraglas pump. The motor is a 1.5 uprated so the pump is equal to a 1hp full rate. With some 2" and 1.5" plumbing mixed together you might get around 60-70 gpm depending on backpressure. If the 60 sq.ft. filter is cheaper than the 48 go for it

Yep. Keep the FC at the recommended levels, make sure you have a CSI within the recommended range and the water is clear. And with the ultra fine cleaning of your DE, it will be just a little clearer.

Awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

You may want to SLAM anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.