Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Please: Pool Store $$$ vs REAL people... lol

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice Please: Pool Store $$$ vs REAL people... lol

Total pool noob here. We've had intex blow ups and quick sets years ago...

Just had installed an above ground 18'er and of course will not be swimming before next year. Bought from a friend, 5 years old, installed new liner also. Went to pool store as valve needed a new spring and gasket.
    Took water sample. #'s were: CYA 0, TC .1, FC .1, TA 43, TH 99, Iron .1, Salt 100, ph 6.8, TDS 150, Sat -1.9, temp 45.

Pool store said we needed 13# of Balance Pak 100, (I have more than enough baking soda for that), 7.75# of Balance Pak 300, (is this washing soda?), .75# of Super Soluble and an Arctic Blue Winter Kit 12k. There cost is $104. IF I need those things, I can get them online for like $70 ish.

Do we need to run the SWG? thinking not. Is the shock thing ok with an SWG? I know it's still CL, but didn't know if there would be a difference.

We also figured that since the pool set up is 5yo, we will change the sand come Spring. What would be the best to use? I had heard of Zeo-lite, Pool Store mentioned recycled glass.

Thanks so much, and I'm a maximizer, so may be asking a gazillion questions...
    PamD
    Simbio "Orion" 18' x 54" ag pool, Hayward Power Flo LX SP1580 1hp, Sta-Rite Cristal Flo 2 sand filter, Intex CS8110 swg

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Advice Please: Pool Store $$$ vs REAL people... lol

I will answer your last question/comment first. It is very rare to ever need to replace the sand in a filter. The only times I've read about an actual change, is when it was all gunked up beyond the ability of a deep clean. So I wouldn't worry about that until you get a chance to actually look in there.

Here is the deep cleaning link. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

- - - Updated - - -

Oh BTW. Welcome to TFPC. We are glad you found us.

- - - Updated - - -

There will be others along soon to provide you with lots of stuff to read and learn about. Just remember, this is not hard and you can do it.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C

3. Back To Top    #3

I just have a moment, but wanted to say we generally don't regard pool store testing as very accurate, and many of us feel it is a waste of time to provide advice based on pool store testing. This is not to say they are all bad, and a broken clock is also right twice per day.... So our number one bit of advice is buy one of the suggested test kits, either the Taylor K-2006C (not the smaller K2006A) or the TF-Testkits TF-100 and get your own reliable test numbers. Personally I use and endorse the TF-100, it is a better value, and they help support this site, so win-win, the link is in my signature. Now I have to go fix the lawn mower and mow the grass before it gets dark...

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4
    TFP Guide

Welcome! Have you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry this or Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule this yet? it will give you a start on understanding the TFP method.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

and a broken clock is also right twice per day....
    Ike, I have got to remember that one.

Pam, my suggestion .... ditch everything the pool store told you and do not spend all that money on those over-priced items. Winter comes along and they package-up products to make it seem like you MUST have that for winter treatment, and it's simply not true. What you DO need is the right test kit - that's priority #1 as Ike noted above. I have the TF-100 and can attest to its value. I also recommend the magnetic "Speed Stir". You won't regret it. Everything you do from here-on is based on that testing - NOT the pool stores. Oh, and since you have a SWG, you should also order your own salt tester (drops or strips, although many seem to like the drops better from TFtestkits.com).

Until you get the kit (which will last through next season), simply stick to the items listed below on my sig (Recommended Chemicals & Levels). Those links will help you tremendously. Also practice using the Poolmath Calculator. You can't break it. Let your eyes get used to the rows, colors, etc, so you're not overwhelmed.

As Bob stated, your sand should still be good and last many, many years unless someone before you added pool store floc or clarifiers that may have gunked it up. A good deep clean may be in order. With the right test kit, we're all about efficiency and saving $$$. You CAN do it. It's not as complicated as some pool stores may lead it out to be.

As you approach closing, we'll be glad to help you with that as well. Just let us know.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Absolutely positively DO NOT PUT the Arctic Blue junk in your pool. It has a copper based algaecide as one of the components. We NEVER recommend the use of metal based algaecides as they create the potential to stain your beautiful new liner!!

Everything else is nothing more than dichlor powder, baking soda and soda ash. You can buy all of that (if you really want to) for a lot cheaper than what the pool store will sell it to you for under the BioGuard brand name.

Oh, and Welcome
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

When I hear "b alance pa k" I think b i o g uard"

Save your money & pass on that over priced nothing special product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Oops I missed joyful a post..

I meant "ditto"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #9

One question you asked hasn't been touched on - the SWG you mentioned. No need to do anything with that until the water is a lot warmer, next year. These devices won't work below 60, if I recall correctly; certainly won't work at 45 degrees. You could look up the manual for your SWG online, perhaps, to learn more about it.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

10. Back To Top    #10

Wow, thanks. Been doing lots of reading... ordered test kit, spinner, salt test and a couple of things I didn't have.

In reading my owners manual for the sand filter, it mentioned to only use silica sand. the previous owners had "sand" sand in. I know you all had mentioned to not change the sand, but should we change it to the silica in the Spring, since it is the medium recommended?
    PamD
    Simbio "Orion" 18' x 54" ag pool, Hayward Power Flo LX SP1580 1hp, Sta-Rite Cristal Flo 2 sand filter, Intex CS8110 swg

11. Back To Top    #11

Can you explain what you mean by "sand" sand? Where did the previous owner get the sand from?
    Kelly, Tampa FL
    15' by 4' Intex above ground metal frame, about 5300 gallons
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679 with E.C.O.
    TF100 Kit and Speedstir
    Intex Auto Cleaner - works great!

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Pool filter sand is silica sand.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

"Where did the previous owner get the sand from?" I was thinking silica sand is the white stuff... This is what's in there:
    I would have to double check with her. I'm thinking from the Pool Store.
    sand.jpg
    PamD

14. Back To Top    #14

Rather than rehashing the topic of pool sand here, you may want to take a look at this link My findings on how not all sand is created equal

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

15. Back To Top    #15

Sand Filter flow into pool-help...

We just had a pool guy install a 5yo Cristal flo 2 sand filter. Have the water in the pool between the 2nd and 3rd screws on the skimmer. (though I just read it should be higher as we have a whirlpool going on in the skimmer).
    Followed the Initial start up direction in the manual. Though we did not run bw or rinse for 2 mins as the water coming out was clear- Backwashes, rinses, recirculates fine. Flow into pool on recirculate is great. NO flow on filter setting. Pump has water. I cleaned all the baskets/skimmers. Had the 6 valve thing serviced, so it isn't a gasket issue. All the back washes and rinses were clean.
    As we just put the pool up last week, we will just be recirculating chemicals for this year anyway, but would like to run the filter if possible. any thoughts? Oh, and the pressure gauge needs replacing, that's on order, so I can't check any numbers on that right now. ugh. Thanks
    PamD

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks Ike, did that.
    PamD

17. Back To Top    #17

You are getting great advice!!

I just thought I'd jump in here and comment on how it seems pool stores love people with a lack of knowledge. Instead of teaching them the "why", they just tell you to buy this and that and throw it in the pool.

You questions show both a willingness to learn and that you are beginning to think like a self sufficient pool owner rather than a pool store robot willing to fork out cash for overpriced and sometimes unneeded stuff.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

18. Back To Top    #18

If you want to change the sand to something that you are sure about, it certainly won't hurt anything.
    Kelly, Tampa FL
    15' by 4' Intex above ground metal frame, about 5300 gallons
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679 with E.C.O.
    TF100 Kit and Speedstir
    Intex Auto Cleaner - works great!

19. Back To Top    #19

Re: Sand Filter flow into pool-help...

Pam, there's a few things about this post that are related to your other thread, so don't be surprised if we merge them at some point okay. Sometimes it helps to keep everything together. As I read your situation with the filter, if you have good water flow to the pump & filter (sounds like you do) I keep coming back to the multiport valve or something internally in the filter. I mean if you can backwash fine, and you can run water to the pool on recirculate fine, it seems like there is a blockage in there somehow when placed on filter mode. When you say the multiport valve was serviced, do you know what exactly was performed? Perhaps something is compromised on the underside of the multiport valve and was not discovered during the spring/gasket repair? I wonder if the valve itself may have been reassembled incorrectly which would make the ports line-up incorrectly inside? Also keep in mind that when placed on recirculate, water is basically bypassing the internal part of the multiport valve altogether (making a U-turn), and just going straight back to the pool. So I keep coming to either the multiport valve or a problem internally.

Since you had the valve serviced by someone recently, for a moment let's assume it's good. Then something in that 5-yr old filter is plugged somewhere. If that is the same sand that you were questioning in your other thread, and came with the filter, I wonder if it’s simply compacted or channeled inside which might indicate why the backwashing showed clear water instead of dirty because the sand is channeled or pressed together and you’re not really able to give it a good backwash. I don't recall, but have you opened-up that filter yet and done a good deep cleaning? If not, I would definitely do that. It’s free and only takes some time. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter If you have any doubt about the sand that was originally used by the previous owners, then you can always clean it out and get new sand (#20 silica sand, sometimes called pool filter sand. I believe it may be marked as .45-.55 mm). You might also wish to look at:
    Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    How a Multiport Valve Operates - INYOPools.com
    Attachment 54864
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

20. Back To Top    #20

Re: Sand Filter flow into pool-help...

I was going to put it there, but didn't know if it should go there instead. should I just copy and move it, then delete this? I don't want to make it complicated...
    PamD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast