Is it algae??

Jun 7, 2016
Houston, Texas
Hello All - it's been a while since I have been on here - I had some algae problems when I was first getting started - to the point where I think I had to slam my pool 3 or 4 times at the beginning of the season - that was no fun!! Now I THINK I have it down pat, but I have a question that has been troubling me for some time now.

My water has been crystal clear for months now - no cloudiness, no green, just perfectly clear blue water. I test my water as close to daily as I can and generally give it a thorough vacuum on Saturdays. What I have been finding, however, is that around mid week, I start to see what LOOKS like little spots of dirt on the liner of my pool floor. They are generally small, but sometimes they start to get larger and there is definitely more by the time Saturday rolls around when I vacuum and start the process all over again. I'm wondering if this is dirt or if this is the start of algae. Some things which are pertinent to know are as follows:

ABG pool
10,400 gallons
Vinyl liner

I generally maintain the water as follows:
FC: 6
pH: 7.2-7.4
Alk: 100
CYA: 40

I do have the unfortunate issue of having a neighbor's tree which hangs over the pool - I therefore get quite a lot of leaves in the pool. I'm wondering if that could be contributing to the problem or if I really am getting just the start of algae but it goes away when I vacuum?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

OCLT sounds like the best plan.

You may have this covered, but brushing your pool weekly, as well as vacuuming, whether you have visible algae or not, is done to break the biofilm that forms over algae to protect it from the chlorine.

You do not list your TC (or CC). If the CC is low (under .5) then could be just dirt/decaying matter. I do have trees, but even without leaves/pine needles, I am amazed how quickly the dirt gets in there. I run my robot a couple times a week, and definitely before we have company. If your CC is high, then could point to something growing. The OCLT is also a good way to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.