Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it algae??

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it algae??

Hello All - it's been a while since I have been on here - I had some algae problems when I was first getting started - to the point where I think I had to slam my pool 3 or 4 times at the beginning of the season - that was no fun!! Now I THINK I have it down pat, but I have a question that has been troubling me for some time now.

My water has been crystal clear for months now - no cloudiness, no green, just perfectly clear blue water. I test my water as close to daily as I can and generally give it a thorough vacuum on Saturdays. What I have been finding, however, is that around mid week, I start to see what LOOKS like little spots of dirt on the liner of my pool floor. They are generally small, but sometimes they start to get larger and there is definitely more by the time Saturday rolls around when I vacuum and start the process all over again. I'm wondering if this is dirt or if this is the start of algae. Some things which are pertinent to know are as follows:

ABG pool
    10,400 gallons
    Vinyl liner

I generally maintain the water as follows:
    FC: 6
    pH: 7.2-7.4
    Alk: 100
    CYA: 40

I do have the unfortunate issue of having a neighbor's tree which hangs over the pool - I therefore get quite a lot of leaves in the pool. I'm wondering if that could be contributing to the problem or if I really am getting just the start of algae but it goes away when I vacuum?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
    AG 10,400 gallons vinyl liner, Hayward 1.0 HP, Sand filter, Houston, TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it algae??

Performing an OCLT should help answer your question.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Here is the link in case you need it:
    Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

4. Back To Top    #4

OCLT sounds like the best plan.

You may have this covered, but brushing your pool weekly, as well as vacuuming, whether you have visible algae or not, is done to break the biofilm that forms over algae to protect it from the chlorine.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

You do not list your TC (or CC). If the CC is low (under .5) then could be just dirt/decaying matter. I do have trees, but even without leaves/pine needles, I am amazed how quickly the dirt gets in there. I run my robot a couple times a week, and definitely before we have company. If your CC is high, then could point to something growing. The OCLT is also a good way to go.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks all - I will definitely perform the OCLT
    AG 10,400 gallons vinyl liner, Hayward 1.0 HP, Sand filter, Houston, TX