Adding borates.... 58lbs?!

300winmag

Gold Supporter
Aug 2, 2016
Dallas, TX
My pool keeps requiring acid, so I'd like to add borates to buffer the pH. However, pool math says I need 58lbs or borax to go from 0ppm to 50ppm in a 16,000 gallon pool. Is that right?!

Regarding the rest of the process, I want to lower TA to 60 and then add the borax and required muriatic acid to compensate for the pH rise from the borax?

Thanks

Add it directly to the pool. You can do it in two batches and brush in between. It will dissolve very rapidly. Let your polaris cleaner roll around too to help mix it up. Keep the pumps running for 24 hours and you'll be all good. As long as 38lbs is what Pool Math tells you is right, you can go ahead and add all of it. Even if you overshoot your borates past 50ppm, it's fine. Some folks target 60ppm because they know they will have a lot of splash out or water loss during the season.

Does my pH need to be spot on before I add the boric acid?

As the boric acid acts as a pH buffer, will future pH adjustments (reduction) require more muriatic acid, and the resultant pH will "last" longer? Or will it require the same amount (or less) of muriatic acid and the result will "last" longer?

Does my pH need to be spot on before I add the boric acid?

As the boric acid acts as a pH buffer, will future pH adjustments (reduction) require more muriatic acid, and the resultant pH will "last" longer? Or will it require the same amount (or less) of muriatic acid and the result will "last" longer?

The boric acid will lower your pH by ~0.2-0.3 units. So just get it close.

To make pH adjustments after borates are added will require more acid (about twice as much) BUT you should be adding it less frequently so the total amount of acid you use really shouldn't change much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.