Newbie with Sand Filter Question

anthys

Jun 6, 2009
Got my very first pool up and running a short 21 hours ago. Had the pump running since I filled it with water, no problems. However, I just checked it again (3 hours shy of running for 24 straight hours) and there is a light but steady flow of water coming from the backwash drain. Enough to make a little puddle below it. Normally, the PSI was running at 10-11 thoughout the day, but it is down to 8 when I noticed the light flow of water coming from it. Being a new pool owner, I'm not sure why this would be happening, so any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

This may not fix it but it's very easy to try.

Shut the pump off first and then rotate the multiport valve (slowly) thru each position clockwise until you return to the filter position.

Turn the pump back on and observe the leak.

Hopefully, the multi-port valve simply isn't positioned just right and that will get it back in place.

Others will have better ideas if that doesn't work.

Duraleigh,

Thanks for the advice. I just went to try that, and when I pushed down on the lever prior to moving positions, a very heavy stream of water came pouring out of it. I didn't know if it was going to stop on its own, so I let go of the lever (and left it in the normal filter position), fired it up, and the leak stopped.

That doesn't sound normal to me, but I'm new at this stuff. Is it?

No, it was off. Would the water have stopped on its own? I was getting quite a puddle so I decided to put it back in the filter position. And after 10 minutes of running it after that happened, water started to trickle out again.

Thank you for your quick responses, by the way.

No, the flow probably wouldn't have stopped. This is assuming your equipment is below the waterline of the pool. If you have valves before and after the equipment, you'll want to close those when you work on it. If you don't get some plugs(or anything that will seal the inlet and return) and put those in.

If it started dripping again, I'd try fully rotating it around as was suggested in another post. Maybe even putting it on Recirc. and seeing if it drips on that setting too.

HTH,
Adam

spishex said:
Are you still noticing lower-than-usual filter pressure as well? While you've got your valves closed open up the pump and check the strainer basket and impeller for debris.

Haven't had much of a chance to check it yet, spishex. Got some bad storms supposedly coming tonight, so it may be another day before I can troubleshoot. So, when the weather clears, and I figure out what an impeller is, I'll check! Thanks for the feedback.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:lol:

The impeller is the part on the end of the motor shaft that actually moves the water. I can usually reach them by taking out the strainer basket and reaching through the hole from the basket to the impeller (motor off! :-D ), at least enough to know if they've sucked up any pine needles or other junk.

spishex said:
:lol:

The impeller is the part on the end of the motor shaft that actually moves the water. I can usually reach them by taking out the strainer basket and reaching through the hole from the basket to the impeller (motor off! :-D ), at least enough to know if they've sucked up any pine needles or other junk.

I will add that to my list of things to check. Thanks, again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.