Wanted to share the dome I build

imamol

Oct 3, 2016
Suffield CT
Just wanted to post some pictures of the dome I build over my 15x30 pool. I have a lot of tress so did not want to use the traditional closing method. In spring my plan is to raise the dome by 3 feet and cover it with clear vinyl.

Attachments

• 2016-10-03 12.38.56.jpg
    2016-10-03 12.38.56.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 243
  • 2016-10-02 17.45.05.jpg
    2016-10-02 17.45.05.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 240
Re: Wnated to share the dome I build

That's awesome! My last pool was above ground and no matter how hard I tried, I could not get pillows to keep rain water and leaves off the cover. It was a constant battle of draining that slimy stinky water off the cover - usually in the middle of the winter. Starting syphon from a hose with ice in it. Just sucked!

Your solution is the best I've seen yet! Great idea and that will definitely keep the water and leaves off the cover.

Also in CT... I will be curious to see if your structure sheds the snow, or whether it takes the other path. How are you stabilizing those arches running side to side on the pool?

Interesting idea! I certainly wish you the best, and hope you will report back, one way or the other.

Thanks for noticing that. I will be hanging more one gallon containers to cover those gaps. Need to find some.:D

- - - Updated - - -

Hi pabeader. As I am new to this forum I could not figure out how to add more pictures. I will try to add more pictures. 2016-10-02 17.45.16.jpg

imamol, I've used those same products for miscellaneous projects around the yard. Conduit attachments I believe from the electrical section right?

For posting pics, have you tried linking your photos from Photobucket? That's what many of us do here on TFP. Upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also was thinking PVC - it looked white in the original photo. I will change my bet on behavior under load, now that I see the conduit :)

Still curious how you are stabilizing the arches? The lengthwise elements are hard to see in the picture.

I would be interested to see how it holds up under weather & snow loads. Arches are strong and can handle the weight as long as the ends are fixed. Is that wire connecting each end of the arch horizontally? I would make sure those arch ends cant move!
Do you plan to swim under the clear poly after you raise it? Or what is the point of going clear poly in the Spring?

I hope it doesn't end up like this! They forgot to support the ends of the arches.
8b56smr.jpg

I also was thinking PVC - it looked white in the original photo. I will change my bet on behavior under load, now that I see the conduit :)

Still curious how you are stabilizing the arches? The lengthwise elements are hard to see in the picture.

I have galvanized wires (6 total) holding the arches width wise. This way the arch will be able to take up the load and not collapse. I thought of attaching it to the pool but did not wanted to drill holes in the pool top metal plate.

I would be interested to see how it holds up under weather & snow loads. Arches are strong and can handle the weight as long as the ends are fixed. Is that wire connecting each end of the arch horizontally? I would make sure those arch ends cant move!
Do you plan to swim under the clear poly after you raise it? Or what is the point of going clear poly in the Spring?

Yes, my plan is to keep the cover up all summer after I change it to clear vinyl. Due to trees, my pool does not get that much sun so I want to use the green house effect to keep the water warm. I dont like to manage bubble solar cover either.

Yes there is wire connecting each end of the arch. I am planning to keep the dome free of snow as much as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

imamol - That picture was exactly what I needed. Now I've a new project for this weekend!!

Please let me know how it goes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.