Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted to share the dome I build

1. Back To Top    #1

Wanted to share the dome I build

Just wanted to post some pictures of the dome I build over my 15x30 pool. I have a lot of tress so did not want to use the traditional closing method. In spring my plan is to raise the dome by 3 feet and cover it with clear vinyl.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15'x30'x52" above ground pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wnated to share the dome I build

Nice!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

That's awesome! My last pool was above ground and no matter how hard I tried, I could not get pillows to keep rain water and leaves off the cover. It was a constant battle of draining that slimy stinky water off the cover - usually in the middle of the winter. Starting syphon from a hose with ice in it. Just sucked!

Your solution is the best I've seen yet! Great idea and that will definitely keep the water and leaves off the cover.

4. Back To Top    #4

Also in CT... I will be curious to see if your structure sheds the snow, or whether it takes the other path. How are you stabilizing those arches running side to side on the pool?

Interesting idea! I certainly wish you the best, and hope you will report back, one way or the other.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Would love to see close ups of the different connection points. How does it attach to the pool?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Ice? Wet Snow?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Wind?

In the photo, as shown, there appear to be a few gaps along the edge of the pool. I think those might be problematic if they remain open.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for noticing that. I will be hanging more one gallon containers to cover those gaps. Need to find some.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi pabeader. As I am new to this forum I could not figure out how to add more pictures. I will try to add more pictures. 2016-10-02 17.45.16.jpg

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: Wanted to share the dome I build

Very cool!
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

imamol, I've used those same products for miscellaneous projects around the yard. Conduit attachments I believe from the electrical section right?

For posting pics, have you tried linking your photos from Photobucket? That's what many of us do here on TFP. Upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Conduit! I like that. I was thinking PVC and wondering how it would keep from drooping...
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C

12. Back To Top    #12

I was afraid of PVC too. That looks great!
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

imamol - That picture was exactly what I needed. Now I've a new project for this weekend!!

14. Back To Top    #14

I also was thinking PVC - it looked white in the original photo. I will change my bet on behavior under load, now that I see the conduit

Still curious how you are stabilizing the arches? The lengthwise elements are hard to see in the picture.

15. Back To Top    #15

I would be interested to see how it holds up under weather & snow loads. Arches are strong and can handle the weight as long as the ends are fixed. Is that wire connecting each end of the arch horizontally? I would make sure those arch ends cant move!
    Do you plan to swim under the clear poly after you raise it? Or what is the point of going clear poly in the Spring?

I hope it doesn't end up like this! They forgot to support the ends of the arches.

Aqua Leader Elegance AGP 15'x30'x 54", 12k gallons, vinyl J-hook liner ... Hayward/SwimPro Voyager pump SW159412STL, 2hp, 2spd, Hayward/Voyager 175sf element filter SW175MDDVPAKS, Installed August 2016 ... Liquid Chlorine... ...TF-100....CYA/Chlorine Chart...Recommended Levels... Basic Care Schedule...Extended-Test-Kit-Directions

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by singingpond View Post
    I also was thinking PVC - it looked white in the original photo. I will change my bet on behavior under load, now that I see the conduit

Still curious how you are stabilizing the arches? The lengthwise elements are hard to see in the picture.
    I have galvanized wires (6 total) holding the arches width wise. This way the arch will be able to take up the load and not collapse. I thought of attaching it to the pool but did not wanted to drill holes in the pool top metal plate.

17. Back To Top    #17

Trying Texas splash advice to use photobucket to add more pictures.

18. Back To Top    #18

Nice!

19. Back To Top    #19

[QUOTE=Teald024;1144264]I would be interested to see how it holds up under weather & snow loads. Arches are strong and can handle the weight as long as the ends are fixed. Is that wire connecting each end of the arch horizontally? I would make sure those arch ends cant move!
    Do you plan to swim under the clear poly after you raise it? Or what is the point of going clear poly in the Spring?

Yes, my plan is to keep the cover up all summer after I change it to clear vinyl. Due to trees, my pool does not get that much sun so I want to use the green house effect to keep the water warm. I dont like to manage bubble solar cover either.

Yes there is wire connecting each end of the arch. I am planning to keep the dome free of snow as much as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    imamol - That picture was exactly what I needed. Now I've a new project for this weekend!!
    Please let me know how it goes.

20. Back To Top    #20

So the whole structure is resting on the pool edge, but not actually attached to the pool?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast