Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Chemical Plan for Winter

1. Back To Top    #1

New Chemical Plan for Winter

In Phoenix, my water temps will drop below the 52 degrees needed for my Intellichlor to producine chlorine. Previous winters I just tried to stay on top of it with adding bleach here and there, but like every winter, I get lazy since the pool isn't being used and I always drop to FC 0 at some point. Let me know if I'm missing something here with my plan for this winter:

Float trichlor
    1) it'll maintain FC
    2) it'll help boost up CYA a bit (I'm always low at the beginning of summer due to loss during the previous swim season)
    3) it'll help with my normal pH rise that I encounter with my salt system

Any negatives that I'm missing?
    ~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Chemical Plan for Winter

If you aren't using your salt system over the winter, you might not get the ph rise you are expecting.
    20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy vs pump, cartridge and aqualink rs -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd (1.82oz/min)

3. Back To Top    #3

I turn off my Intellifo when the water drops below 70 and switch to bleach. Be sure to chlorinate based on non-swg on the FC/CYA Chart. With my cya at 70-80 I keep FC at 12ish. I let FC drop to 8 or 9, test PH and add a jug of bleach which raises FC by 4 ppm in my pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I turn off my Intellifo when the water drops below 70 and switch to bleach. Be sure to chlorinate based on non-swg on the FC/CYA Chart. With my cya at 70-80 I keep FC at 12ish. I let FC drop to 8 or 9, test PH and add a jug of bleach which raises FC by 4 ppm in my pool.
    Out of curiousity, why do you choose 70 as opposed to a lower number where the Intellichlor will still produce cholorine (i.e. 60)

5. Back To Top    #5

I start getting too many low salt errors and it isn't worth the hassle. I'd rather just add bleach than wonder if the cell is working today or not.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the input everybody in this thread already. Just curious to hear if anybody floats pucks in their saltwater pool during the winter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Back To Top    #7

I never have in 5 years. I have been thinking about getting a floater and giving it a whirl on vaca and over winter. But, I have never bought a puck, ever and I kinda like that track record. I think it is a good idea and it's an easy way to keep your CYA level up where you want it.
    TFP Moderator