Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Remove diving board

1. Back To Top    #1

Remove diving board

I was wondering if its good practice to remove the diving board for winter? If so, do you also remove the base each time? I currently have mine removed as its new to me and wanted to check for any damage on the underside of the board and inside the base. I coated the bolts with a heavy amount of water proof grease since they are totally exposed but would this be a good idea to do every winter or should I leave the base attached? Will the base fill with water and cause the bolts to rust even more if not removed?
    18x36 inground / 28k gal / Phanton vinyl liner (replaced in 2009) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Remove diving board

If you are able to remove the diving board for the winter, I would do so. Less likely for the diving board to get corrosion or more weather wear. I would remove it at the base if possible and store in a covered, dry place. Mine stays in place mostly because when I took over the pool, it was badly rusted in place. I have a feeling that if I tried to remove it, I'd be creating a new project of remounting the diving board to the deck... which I may do next spring anyway.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

So you think removing the base is good practice? I have read mixed reviews but no one has proven either way is better. I also need to figure out how to coat the base bolts when the base is installed to help prevent them from rusting again. I may make some caps out of PVC and fill them with grease and install over the bolts. I could do this when the base is installed and when its removed for winter.
    18x36 inground / 28k gal / Phanton vinyl liner (replaced in 2009) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump

4. Back To Top    #4

There are many places to find bolt caps in the right size. I know they're not the cheapest place around but a search on Grainger Screw Caps - Screws - Grainger Industrial Supply produces quite a few, in quantities larger than you need... You may be able to find some at a local hardware store. Keeping the bolts coated and lubricated is likely more important than removing the base.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the help and the link. I will search locally and see what I can find.