Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mesh cover and leaves

1. Back To Top    #1

Mesh cover and leaves

Good Morning TFP,

I have a mesh safety cover, a 70 year old silver maple and a yard surrounded by arbovitea. Every fall, my mesh cover/pool gets abused by the leaves and fall 'mess'. I am considering buying a 40'x20' tarp this year to get me through fall (remove mid december) so that it minimizes the amount of leaves and debris on/in the pool. Any thoughts on this? Am I wasting my time? Am I defeating any purposes unknown to me?

Thank you, as always, for your input
    Thanks!!
    18ft x 36ft 24500 gal vinyl liner inground
    Salt water pool - swim pure plus
    Hayward cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mesh cover and leaves

That sounds like a reasonable plan. Just be sure to have some type of pump to get the water off the tarp when it rains so it doesnt pull the cover and the tarp into the pool.
    18x36 inground / 28k gal / Phanton vinyl liner (replaced in 2009) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the same problem, I bought a cheap black and decker leaf blower and just keep it ready to go in my pool box next to the pool. I makes it easy to grab it, blow off the leaves and stick in back in the box. It stays there until all the trees are bare.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not sure why the leaves would be a problem. They just blow off of mine. The only time anything stays on my cover is if the pool gets too full and the cover touches the water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

The only year I ever opened to a crystal clear pool was the year I put a tarp over my mesh cover. Yes it is a pain to pump off the water but I am going to do it again this year because the leaves break down on top of the cover and you open to a not so clear and clean pool, at least in my case. I would say go for it.
    My pool 20x40 Vinyl Liner 24k gallons Sta-Rite P6E6E-206L Max-E-Pro Energy 1 HP System Filtration DE Polaris BP960 pump Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I bet it also makes the mesh cover easier to clean in spring.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm pretty well baffled by people having leaf problems or needing to clean their cover. Mine is always spotless. It's flat as a table and dry as a bone except when it's raining or has snow on it, and everything blows off when it is dry. I live in the country and have leaves blowing over the cover all winter, but I just fold it up in the spring when it is dry and put it in the bag. No cleaning required.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

My pool is surrounded by trees tons of them, a lot of them don't drop their leaves until November so even when I blew the leaves off pieces off them go through the mess cover and then there is a lot of clean up come opening time. When we have a storm blow through when the pool is open it is not uncommon to have hundreds of leaves in the pool after a storm it is a blast, if I had it to do all over again I would have paid for the electric cover
    My pool 20x40 Vinyl Liner 24k gallons Sta-Rite P6E6E-206L Max-E-Pro Energy 1 HP System Filtration DE Polaris BP960 pump Heater